Hydroxychloriquine & tiredness

Options
tinydancer
tinydancer Member Posts: 74
edited 21. Feb 2014, 06:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there. I've recently started on hydroxychloriquine and I am extremely tired, physically exhausted. Anyone else suffer from this on these meds?

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've been on hydroxy over two years and have not experienced this at all . Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Me neither and I've been on it years. However, it might well be the arthritis having a bite. Why were you prescribed hydroxy? If your auto-immune arthritis is flaring the hydroxy might not have kicked in yet.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I'm not on any meds but often feel very tired and physically exhausted. I've been told it is due to the RA. I think if you are in a lot of pain, that can make you tired too.
    Christine
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi;

I've taken it for a year and have had no side-effects. I do have extreme fatigue, but it's from the PsA. It's been there ever since it started.
  • tinydancer
    Options
    I've only just started it few weeks ago. Maybe I'm just extremely tired because of the RA and I'm putting it down to the meds. I've been on sulphazalasine for about 4 years but felt it wasn't working as well and didn't want to start methotrexate so rheumy put me on these alongside sulph.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    It does sound a bit like disease not under control, doesn't it? Did your rheumatologist feel the sulph wasn't working? Are you taking extra pain meds? They could account for tiredness.
    Steven Wright
  • tinydancer
    Options
    I actually have never been prescribed painkillers, take sulph, hydroxyl & naproxen
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sorry I cant offer any advice but just want to add my support..and hope you can get some help with it xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    Options
    If the RA is having a bite that alone would explain the tiredness. However, it would also be an indication that the hydroxy isn't working yet. When do you see your rheumatologist again? Try not to overdo things so as to give yourself a better chance with the flare.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I'm on Hydroxchloriquine as well as many other drugs, I do get very tired and sometimes actually fall a sleep but I think mine is due to the different mix of other meds with the hydro.
  • mellivenelli
    mellivenelli Member Posts: 38
    Options
    hello

I've also just started this drug recently and I've never been so tired! fighting to keep my eyes open a lot of the time.

Attempted to go to the cinema last night for the first time in months and I was in a right state and was so tired i was dragging my legs back to the car with my husband :shock: !!

Nightmare lol :lol:
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    It does become embarrassing when your OH is talking to you and you fall asleep! Oopps! :oops:
  • tinydancer
    Options
    Thanks all for the replies. Phoned the hospital on Monday and no phone call back, not happy whatsoever.