Lotsofpain Member Posts: 157
edited 16. Feb 2014, 10:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Has anyone tried this with sucess ??

Comments

• kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi. I don't know anything about this but would be very interested to know more as I have a very painful shoulder with OA.

Beryl
  • Lotsofpain
    Options
    Have a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQQBbmRjvqQ its more effective with rigid tape but cant stay on so long, it pulls the arm up into the socket so relieves pain
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    I seem to remember you had a lot of difficulty getting the tape off last time you tried this, lotsofpain.To be honest, I don't think I've heard of anyone else using it for arthritis and i can't find any reference to it on reliable arthritis websites. I suspect it's for the 'worried well'. It seems to be aimed at athletes and they can be very neurotic about potential problems. I've always found a combination of exercise, rest and pain relief to be the best treatment for shoulders.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Lotsofpain
    Options
    Thanks You are right about last time but its a different pattern - you may well be right about worried well but I am not expecting a cure just pain relief
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    I wouldn't be able to get my arms into the correct position to have this done!

The physiotherapist did on a few occasions tape my knee, which did help a little for the time the tape was on, unfortunately, the tape didn't stay on for very long, what with showering, and at that time, hydrotherapy. I couldn't get the same effect from taping it myself, in fact, if it's not done just right, it could do more harm than good!

Sticky, the worried well? If only :lol:

Numpty
  • Lotsofpain
    Options
    How long is not very long - with kinesio type tape - which being flexible provides slightly less support than rigid tape over coverwrap- bit is quite effective you can usually get 5 days and it survives showering or baths
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Sorry to be quite vague Lotsofpain, but this was seven or so years ago, and my memory isn't brilliant at the best of times!
    I think it was rigid tape that was used, one shower would render it useless, so it depended how well I was able to keep it dry. The physiotherapist renewed it after each weekly hydro session. She did give me some tape, and showed me how to apply it, but as I said, I just couldn't get the same effect doing it myself. When my hydro sessions ended, I didn't bother going to have it re-taped, although the Physio said I could call in anytime, it was too inconvenient.
    The tape you mention sounds much more practical, I wish you luck with it.
    Numpty
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Options
    hi lotsofpain
    No i havent tryed this form of help to shoulder, and thanks it might be
    of some benefit to me.after 19 months ive now been diagnosed with a
    torn rotary cuff tendon.
    bit dissapointed why it wasnt picked up a lot sooner.
    but i will look into this may help me.
    at moment i cant lift my arm up and loss of strength.
    thanks mike26