Trapped Nerve??

Options
lynnemarie1123
lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
edited 24. Feb 2014, 14:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All.

A bit of advice please-today Iwas bent over slicing things on the guillotine at work - my back was aching, when I had finished I straightened up and found the sight in my left eye had gone funny - a kaleidoscope effect. - it then seemed to effect both eyes.

it seemed to get worse, I was really worried and quite frankly scared, - I sat down and drank some water, after another 5 mins or so i realised it had stopped. do you think it is possible that i trapped a nerve in my back due to being bent over??

I have unspecified sero neg arthur, I am also developing oesto.

any advice would be gratefully received. thanks

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    We can't diagnose. We have no medical training. It could, I guess, be a trapped nerve, an optical migraine or many other things. If it were me I'd be getting the doc to check it out
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Definitely you should report your symptoms to your GP. How are you now?
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    I am fine thanks, back is a bit twingy x I just wondered if anyone had had anything similar, if it happens again i will go to GP's x - I am aware that no one is medically trained and cant diagnose - i was just asking for support thats all xxxxxxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello lynnemarie1123
    Like the others have said you have a word with your GP, I think that having Arthritis sometimes stops us going with other symptoms...I know I don't ..hopefully it was just a one off...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi Lynne;

I have had similar, but not really the kaleidescope-effect. I've had other visual problems and lost vision for awhile once. I have problems with fainting and some other neurological symptoms. It's all very annoying.

I have migraines and Raynaud's, so blood flow can be wonky, and have never been told if my 'episodes' relate to that or to my seronegative arthritis, or something else. It's always 'wait and see' so like living on knife-edge waiting for something else to happen.

Hopefully yours is not anything to worry about, maybe related to being bent over and in pain? Hope it doesn't happen again. Take care of yourself.

xxAnna
  • Julie37927
    Julie37927 Bots Posts: 35
    Options
    Your right, that was a little odd and scary. Our bodies do amazing things sometimes!!. :wink: The fact that you were bent over for a long time, maybe you effected the blood flow to your head? The back is connected via the spinal cord to the head and everything else so anything is possible. The back pain sounds a little muscle-like, but if it is improving, I wouldn't worry too much about it. My advice is to be very careful when bending forward for long periods and change positions every 10-15 minutes. Stand up, sit down, go to the lieu, get a glass of water, etc... Our bodies hate inactivity. We need to move for the blood/fluids/electricity to flow adequately throughout our bodies.
    It does sound a little like a visual migraine and could have been brought on by the stress of lack of blood flow. If it happens again see your GP. Hope this helps and lets also hope it does not happen again!
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    thanks guys xx

I have wondered if i have reynards - my fingers go drip white and numb feeling - where my hand has colour - i have mentioned this to my rhumy - but they just shrugged xxx - back is still twingy today - i have been careful not to bend but to squat when i when i am talking to children at their desks - I am a teaching assistant so i am never still.

I am concentrating on improving my core - after advice from physio, so dont want to stop doing exersize, I am going to do 20 mins on my cross trainer now, so it wont put too much pressure on my back xx

thanks for your support :) xxxx

oh and also, i have slight anemia at the moment, and low blood pressure - i often have spots in front of my eyes if i stand too fast etc - but this was completely different xxx I am a strange little thing ;) xxx
  • celebrationb
    celebrationb Member Posts: 134
    Options
    It happened to me about three years ago but I have a niece which is a eye nurse. I phoned her when it happened and she told me it was a migraine and painkillers and go to bed.
    But do go to the doc just in case.
    I suffered from migraines when i was young and my son who is now nearly 18 did the same. He suffered for years and years, he was also told he had stomach migraines, which was so scary ened up in A&E hospital with lots of tests. Luckly he doesnt get them to much.
    Get checked out just in case.
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    its all so v bizzare - i hadnt the slightest of headaches and didnt after either.
    I have never had a migraine and dont want to start now :( xxxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I have had the very occasional ocular migraine. I don't get the ordinary sort of migraines and, indeed, hardly ever get headaches. I went to the optician who told me there was nothing to worry about as long as it was a very rare event.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    oh good x that makes me feel better xx thank you xx