WALKING STICK

smokeysmum
smokeysmum Member Posts: 8
edited 20. Feb 2014, 12:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have to now use a stick but it doesnt feel right when im walking can i ask should i use it on side of sore knee or the other side feel stupid asking but cant think of anyone else to ask? :oops:

Comments

• jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I was taught that the stick should be the opposite side to the damaged leg ; no idea if this is correct though it's really whatever feels best for you !
    Jillyb
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Definitely opposite side to sore knee. Did you get your stick from a physiotherapist? Mine adjusted my sticks and crutches to the correct height ect for me. Could this be your problem?
    Good luck.
    Numpty
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    You use the stick on the opposite side to the affected joint and your hand should be just above hip-level. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    I cant say anything more.....opposite side to the sore leg

Love
    Hileena
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Yes opposite side and physiotherapist adjusted mine as well.
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Yes oposite side, and you shouldnt have the stick to high or low..just look on the net for instructions...
    Love
    Barbara
  • purplepatch
    purplepatch Member Posts: 28
    I had mine fitted (?) by the physio, one with an ergonomic handle & adjusted to the right height.
    The advice here is as given to me, use it on the opposite side from your worst side.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I used an adjustable stick to start but I much prefer walking crutches.
  • Julie37927
    Julie37927 Bots Posts: 35
    No such thing as a stupid question!! Very important to use the stick on the opposite side of the injured side. Also very important that it is at the right height. If not you could affect your back or opposite hip. Also very important not to put too much weight on the wrist, elbow and shoulder on the opposite side. Too short of a stick means your slouching off to one side and bearing too much weight, too long of a stick and your slouching off to the other side. If you can, ask a Doctor or therapist to help you with it. Hope this helps.