Steven's Johnson?

Options
Kitty
Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
edited 21. Feb 2014, 11:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
I wondered if anyone has either had, or knows someone who has had Steven's Johnson Syndrome. I have been taking Leflunomide for a number of years now, and last summer began to get a rash on my legs. My GP has given me steroid cream for it, but isn't really sure what it is. I'm getting a bit worried and would like to rule out Steven's Johnson if possible. :cry:

How long after starting Leflunomide can it start? Does it affect your body in general, or just areas of it? Any advice? Obviously I will make an appointment with my rheumy if it does prove to be SJ, I'm seeing my GP again next Wednesday.

Thank you
Kath xx

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'd never heard of this, Kath (I doubt you'll find anyone on here who's had it), so I looked it up. It seems it's extremely rare and, as far as I can make out, there doesn't seem to be any particular connection with leflunomide (Though NSAIDS can cause it) so what makes you think you might have it?

If you got the rash last summer, had you been out in the sun without sunscreen? I'm not sure about lef but I know methotrexate will give a rash if that happens.

I think you're right to be cautious but, unless your GP has good reason for thinking it might be Stevens-Johnsons, I wouldn't be inclined to worry too much about it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sorry Kath I haven't heard of this one..whatever it is I hope your GP can put your mind at rest..let us know how you get on..will be thinking about you xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    When I venture into the summer sun I am dressed from head to toe: big floppy hat, high-necked long sleeves, scarf for the back of the neck, long skirts or trousers, closed-in shoes. This is to avoid meth rash which is nasty - I look on in envy at those who bare as much as they can (even if they really shouldn't on grounds of public health). I can also be affected at other times of the year. I am used to skin rashes thanks to eczema and psoriasis but meth rash is another beast altogether. I cannot remember if rash is a side-effect of lef but it wouldn't surprise me. Calamine lotion plus an anti-histamine or two sorts me out. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Kitty
    Options
    Although the rash appeared last summer, I still have it. My GP doesn't know what it is and might have to refer me to the dermatology consultant. The leaflet in my packs of Leflunomide put SJ as one of the rarer side effects. I know it doesn't appear on the list of drugs that can cause it, I checked online myself. I haven't actually suggested it to my GP yet, but I'm seeing her on Wednesday so will do so. I just want to rule it out. But thank you for your comments anyway.

Kath

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Have you mentioned the rash to your rheumatology team? It might be worth giving the helpline a call.

To be honest, from the little I've read about it I don't see how it could be Stevens-Johnsons as it's gone on so long. I think if it was (And this is supposed to cheer you up :wink: ) you'd be long gone by now :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Kitty
    Options
    I'll consider myself cheered up Stickywicket :D .

GP did suggest one condition that she couldn't remember the name of, but she said it usually affected feet!! :roll:
    I'll see what she says next week.

xx