Anyone's Child Prescribed Prednisolone?

peachymama
peachymama Member Posts: 3
edited 10. Apr 2014, 14:43 in My child has arthritis
Hello All

I'm a newbie and after 2 weeks of crying and anxiety (away from kids) am happy to have found a forum.

My daughter who is 6 has recently been diagnosed with Polarticular JIA, it particularly affects her knees, ankles, wrists and hands.

The Rheumatologist has prescribed her Prednisolone daily and Methotrexate once a week, with the Prednisolone to be reduced once the Methotrexate kicks in.

The side effects she is having with the Prednisolone are continual abdominal pain, bloating and general lethargy. After repeated attempts to get hold of the contact nurse, they took her off the 4 x soluble Prednisolone and changed this to 2 x coated Prednisilone twice daily. The ranitidine they prescribed to go with it gives her no relief from the tummy pain.

I know this is the awful period post-diagnosis, when your child is in pain and suffering and the drugs haven't had time to work, but I feel these steroids are just adding to her pain and misery. Has anyone else's child had these probs with the meds and did anything else help?

:cry::cry::cry:

Comments

• DaddyM
    DaddyM Member Posts: 12
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi,

My daughter (4yrs) was given IV prednisolone last summer and then had a tapering course of tablets as the MTX got going. She was lucky enough not to suffer side-effects...

There are lots of different tummy protectors, perhaps the nurse, or GP can help you find one that works for your daughter.

If you can't get a response from the nurses/secretaries I'd recommend contacting PALS, they are brilliant in my experience.

I hope this helps...Good luck!
  • peachymama
    peachymama Member Posts: 3
    Thanks DaddyM

I hadn't heard of PALS before, will give them a try.

How long did it take before the MTX started working with your daughter?
  • DaddyM
    DaddyM Member Posts: 12
    Hi,

She started MTX in September last year, it was the steroids that sorted her main problems out. The MTX has then kept everything pretty much damped down.

But in those six months she's twice been put back on Naproxen due to some swelling in her knees. She's just finishing the latest bottle, we're off to see the physio on 7th March and hoping that she's OK.

She's been really well (considering some of the stories I see on the JIA UK Facebook page).

Kitchen cupboards now look like a pharmacy! Good luck.