Help please! How effective is Naproxen?

MamiSandra
MamiSandra Member Posts: 7
edited 26. Feb 2014, 16:29 in My child has arthritis
Can anyone tell me how effective they have found Naproxen alone in dealing with swelling & heat? It is killing the pain alright, but is it capable of reducing the swelling, too? I just want to know how much I can expect from it.

Please help.

Thank you.

Sandra

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Naproxen is an anti-inflammatory but, from what you said in your other post, it would sound as though your lad is going to need something a little stronger to suppress his immune system; Naproxen cannot do that. What other meds has he taken in the past? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Julie37927
    Julie37927 Bots Posts: 35
    Naproxen is a strong anti inflammatory and pain killer. I have found it works awesome with me, only a little stomach upset. Although, I agree with miamisandra he may need an immune suppressant to beat down the arthritis. My advice would be to try the naproxen and see how it goes. Ice is also a great anti inflammatory if used on small joints. Not everyone likes ice but works great locally.
  • MamiSandra
    MamiSandra Member Posts: 7
    Dear dreamdaisy & julie37937

Thank you both for your replies.

This is our first flare since he was first diagnosed. Back then, his knee and his ankle were affected, but because it took ages to get a diagnosis, he did not get strong enough treatment until a few months had lapsed. At first, he had just ibuprofen (which I have never found "man" enough to deal with his pain). Then he had both joints injected with steroid (and fluid removed). The knee came right within 24 hours, but the foot took 7 weeks! Maybe because it was in fact 3 foot joints that were affected. All of the injections were done under full anaesthetic & x ray. Afterwards, he was on Naproxen for a while till everything cleared up and has been on & off over the past two years, but this was never due to active inflammation, but more due to foot pain brought about by his hypermobility and ill fitting orthotics.

I must say the Naproxen seems to be dealing with the knee pain very well. I have asked him to give his pain a score from 1 to 10, 1 being no pain - and he says it's either 1, 2 or 3 at different times of the day. I am continuing to chill it with ice packs. I've got 3 strap on velcro ones that allow him to walk around without them falling off.

I measured the "fatness" of his knee the last 3 nights and it has been going down by 0.5 cm every night so far. Not sure if it will yo yo up and down, but interesting to see.

His bloods for ESR and CRP were borderline normal, but interestingly the ESR was half as raised when he had the first, full blown episode.

My hope is that he is fighting it and that this flare is a minor one because (a) it has left the foot alone this time, (b) the knee is not that big anymore compared to last week and (c) his pain is under control with just Naproxen.

I am waiting for GOSH to ring me back to see if they want to take a look at him or wait and see a bit more.

So fed up with this awful thing ruling my life! Guess what I dream about every night.....:(

Thanks to you all for your replies.

Sandra