Help at Home after Hip Replacement

krisbe
krisbe Member Posts: 95
edited 3. Mar 2014, 14:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
At long last I am having my right hip replaced on 5 March. I was told that I cant get help with social care as I am not 60. I was kind of banking on it as I don't have anyone to hep out and I thought it was automatic. My 18 yr old son is at college from 7.00 until 6.15 every day and I don't want him missing any lessons as its an important year for him. If I have to have compression stockings when I come out I don't know how I am going to change them as you are not allowed to bend down. Does anyone have any ideas? My surgeon said I will be in between 3 and 5 days. Do you always have to have compression stockings or can they send you home without them? Is it worth contacting social care myself?

Comments

• elsa56
    elsa56 Member Posts: 98
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Good luck with the op Krisbe, I had mine done in December.
    You will need someone too look after you when you get out of hospital and yes you will need to keep you stockings on for 6 weeks after the op.
    Have you got an occupational therapist, they are helpful and can tell you what you need to know. Hopefully you could get a district nurse to come in to see you if you have a word with doctor.
    Different areas have there own systems and I didn't get offered help but luckily I had my daughter with me for the first two weeks and my sister for the second two weeks.
    Hope all goes well for you
    Take care
    Elsa xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello krisbe. A new hip :D That's great news. Well, it was, on both occasions, for me.

After your op an Occupational Therapist will see you to make sure you can cope at home. If you're alone it will be harder so try to prepare beforehand ie make some meals now which you can freeze for later and then just pop in the microwave.

I can't remember if I had compression stockings after my second THR. I don't think so. I think they just kept me on the machine that squeezes your calf and releases it every couple of minutes while I was in there then sent me home without anything but I could be wrong. I'm sure the Occy Therapist will sort you out, though.

Have you had your pre-op yet? If not, you could take the opportunity to raise any questions then.

Good luck with it all :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • krisbe
    Thanks for that. I have had my pre op and that is where the nurse told me I couldn't get any help. I have prepared my house and have got a friend to do the cleaning but it is the daytime I am a bit worried about managing the stairs. My shopping I can order on line for the evening delivery when my son is home. I was told the surgeon likes to use compression pumps so maybe I wont have any compression stockings. Maybe I am worrying too much.
  • stickywicket
    I don't think you're worrying too much. We all get anxious before going in for an operation and it's better to iron out any potential problems now rather than later. You do seem to have been getting things in place and you'll reap the benefits later.

They will make sure you can manage stairs before letting you home and will show you how to do it. One step at a time, good leg first going up and operated leg first going down ie 'good leg up to heaven: bad leg down to hell' :lol:

I have it easy because I'm in a bungalow but, if you have worries about the bathroom, they do have commodes which they loan out. A bit of a delicate subject I know but at least you'll know it's an option if needed.
    Steven Wright
  • Sarah01
    Sarah01 Member Posts: 192
    Hi Krisbe,

I had a THR 6 weeks ago and I can totally relate to how you are feeling. I had the compression pump in hospital and I had to wear the stockings for 6 weeks.

I was worried about how I would cope as my husband works away. I have 2 boys aged 16 and 18 who are also at college. When I came home, the boys had worked out a rota on dealing with the housework, the cooking and they even changed my stockings for me. I already had friends and family in place to help but the boys had decided they wanted to do this. I still do all my shopping online as I am still on 2 crutches and I have it delivered in the evening or the weekend when the boys are not at college.

I was petrified about climbing the stairs to start with, especially when the physio first got me out of bed. As SW said in her reply, they make sure that you can manage some stairs before you are released. I found it so easy in the hospital but it still didn't stop me being scared the first time I climbed them at home. The best advice I can give is to listen to your physio. When you get home, go at your own pace with the stairs. The first time I went to the bathroom it took me 8 minutes to get up and down the stairs. The reason I know this is because I paused a programme I was watching on Sky and when I came back I had been away 8 minutes. As each day and week passes after the op it gets easier. I'm 6 weeks on and I still have to use one crutch up and down the stairs but that's due to a swollen knee which has hampered my recovery.

Good luck with the operation and let us know how you get on.

Sarah x
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    Well I've had 2 THR's I'm 4 and a half weeks post op now
    I've had the compresson stockings for both {passion killers} :lol:
    The stairs are frightening to think about but easy to do when you do it at your own pace.
    My first THR I was told {like sticky} good leg goes up to heaven and bad leg to hell :lol:
    Second one I was told GEORGE BERNARD SHAW!!!! Good first, Bad second and then stick :lol:
    I mentioned about the good one going to heaven etc.....she said Oh we used to do that but had to stop because we offended some people :shock:
    They are easily offended is all I can say :wink:
    The OT will make sure you have everything in place.
    Love
    Hileena
  • sailrib
    sailrib Member Posts: 327
    Good luck with things.

I'm 26 years old and my (foot and ankle) surgeon wouldn't let me home from hospital after my fusion surgery, unless I agreed to have care at home from an outside source, not family.

I'm sure when you are in hospital and the OT accesses you, you will get things in place for when you are home. Always ask your surgeon if you think the OT isn't listening to you.
  • krisbe
    Thank you all for your advice, I guess I will have to wait and see how I get on. I'm going to be petrified on the day I know. I think its made worse by the fact that a colleague of mine was back at work within 6 weeks and I keep getting asked how long I think I will be off work.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I found that one of the hardest things.
    People kept telling me how their sister/friend/whoever had had a hip replacement and was doing cartwheels after the 6 weeks :lol: OK slight exaggeration but that's more or less what they were saying. :wink:
    I have spinal problems as well so when I still couldn't walk as fast or as far as them they couldn't understand it. :?
    You've just got to try to ignore it...everyone is different. :roll:
    I've just had my 2nd hip replacement...so same person, same operation and same surgeon but the outcomes weren't the same so there is no way you can judge yourself against others. :roll:
    Love
    Hileena
  • krisbe
    On another subject does anyone know if they load up your holiday insurance when you have had a hip replacement. I've booked a few days away in August but haven't arranged the insurance yet as thought it would be better to wait until after the op. Thanks Chris
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello
    I see the others have given you lots of advice, my new hip is 7 months old and leke you I was wondering about the insurace, mine was high due to the meds I take and my back.you must make sure you ask for help, there is a scheme I think but you have to pay.
    Even at 60 you are only allowed a few days help. :roll:
    I really do wish you a good recovery, and in time for summer x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    sbe" wrote:
    On another subject does anyone know if they load up your holiday insurance when you have had a hip replacement. I've booked a few days away in August but haven't arranged the insurance yet as thought it would be better to wait until after the op. Thanks Chris
    A good decision to wait before sorting travel insurance. I'm not sure that one replaced joint will make much difference whereas a knackered one waiting to be replaced would. As I recall, they ask if you've had any joints replaced and then ask if it's just one or more than one.. Have fun!
    Steven Wright
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Hello there! I didn't look at this thread earlier as I don't know anything about hips. However, I had BOTH knees replaced about 18 months ago and went on holiday four months later. I can't remember the details about holiday insurance, but I don't think it affected it that much....and if it had cost a lot, I'd remember! It's worth shopping around, as all companies differ in how they work it out. I think I got mine with Saga. Whoever it was with, they asked how many operations for joint replacement you'd had (interestingly, not how many joints at each op), a few questions about back problems, walking with sticks/aids etc, and how many medications you took. It added a bit, but not much, and after a year I don't think I even had to mention it.

If you want further details let me know and I'll try to look up my records.
  • krisbe
    Went to GP today to ask if I could get some help. She said she would have a word with the community nurses and see if one could pop in when I come out. Only one more day to go. Getting really nervous now.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Good luck Krisbe, hope all goes well with you, let us know how you are getting on x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles