Gum disease (p.gingivalis) and rheumatoid arthritis

bluefish
bluefish Member Posts: 16
edited 3. Mar 2014, 09:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all
Any thoughts on all this in news on link between gum disease and rheumatoid arthritis.
I have juvenile onset, sero positive RA described by consultants as moderate to severe, am on methotrexate, humira and sulfasalazine. Have recently had bleeding gums and dentist thinks early signs of gum disease.
Am understanding that bacteria p. gingivalis can be theoretically killed with chlorhexidine mouthwash impeccable dental hygiene and anti biotics. Am not wanting to take anti biotics but looking into pro biotics and came across lactobacillus reuteri that I think help to combat p.gingivalis. Am experimenting with impeccable dental hygiene this mouthwash and trying to get hold of some of that pro biotic too. Feel like I'm doing a phd after all this research! But can't see that any of this will harm but am optimistic that it might help?
Any thoughts from anyone particularly in similar situation?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I know there have been as few studies on the potential relationship between RA and periodontal disease but I've not heard of any conclusive link from a 'proper' piece of research. I don't think Arthritis Research UK has anything of huge import. However, good dental hygiene has got to make sense for everyone. I confess mine wasn't brilliant until the arrival of electric toothbrushes. I could finally reach all areas :lol: If using any strong mouthwashes etc it's probably best to check first with your dentist (who should be aware of what medication you're on), GP or pharmacist.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Cariad71
    Cariad71 Member Posts: 99
    Hey there bluefish,

My only personal experience with gingivitis was when I was about 15 and got it when I thought it would be a good idea to start smoking!! :roll:
    This scare and a stern word from my dentist luckily made me stop there and then!

Chlorhexidine mouthwash doesn't interact with any medicines you may be taking but it does have an unpleasant side effect of staining your teeth brown :( its reversible when you stop using it but as far as I know it isn't really used long term, but if you think you have gingivitis currently its worth using it for a few weeks I think. maybe try a more everyday mouthwash after that for general hygiene?

Because I always suffered such awful mouth ulcers with mtx, I try my best to have good oral hygeine. I'd also read about oral probiotic lozenges for mouth ulcers, I tried them once as they were on sale in boots but never used them for long enough. I think using dental floss, an electric toothbrush and mouthwash twice a day and seeing your dentist and hygienist regularly are the best things you can do really. Which reminds me, I've been meaning to start booking in with the hygienist in between 6 monthly dentist appts so I get a proper clean every 3 months, I figure that might help look after things xx
  • Cariad71
    Cariad71 Member Posts: 99
    Also, for me toothpaste has always been a problem. I find if I use any normal toothpaste it seems to aggravate the ulcers and the lining of my mouth seems to slough away! I now use ultradex (formally retardex) which I you can buy in boots. It's expensive about £6 a tube but they often have 3 for 2. It doesn't have any SLS which is the foaming ingredient used in most toothpastes and is known to irritate some people's mouths and ulcers. I think its also supposed to be good for preventing gum disease, its marketed as being good for bad breath but I find it helps keep the ulcers to a minimum
  • bluefish
    bluefish Member Posts: 16
    Yes was the dentist who said to use cordsydil daily which has chlorhexidine in it, pretty strong stuff though! So I know what you mean. I was interested in trying the lozenges and maybe a pro biotic drink too as I figured the mouthwash will kill off all the good bacteria in my mouth too! I checked with my doc who also said it was ok so gonna go back to dentist in a couple of months and try like you suggested for more regular cleans at dentist too.