Pain when driving

ouchpotato
ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
edited 4. Mar 2014, 06:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone

I thought I'd start a new thread for this rather than tack it on to my other one.

When I drive anywhere for more than a few minutes, it leaves me almost paralysed with pain. It starts in my groin/hip area and then as it goes on it spreads down the front of my thigh to my knee. I can't pinpoint an exact spot where it comes from, rather it is the general groin/top of thigh area but when it is at it's height it is the entire area from top of thigh to knee.
The pain is a burning ache, very difficult to describe, but it leaves me in tears and even with max codeine and hot water bottles (not when driving, haha, I mean when I get home) it takes at least 2 hours to settle to a manageable level.

I have OA in my spine, spinal stenosis, a compressed disc, as well as OA in hands, knees, shoulders...I have never had my hips checked but am thinking that they are also affected.

Does anyone else get this kind of pain when driving, or any other time for that matter? It's horrible, the worst of all my pains.

Thanks

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello ouch
    I don't drive now,I gave up long ago not because of arthritis may I add,not sure if you get DLA of any kind then you could get an adapted car..sorry if you don't, I can only imagine how painful it is for you..
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I get pain all the time when driving, it's in my toes, both ankles, both knees, right hip and both sacro joints but then they hurt all the time anyway. :lol: Pain is a fact of arthritic life, sad but true; any every-day activity will aggravate matters because our joints are 'under attack' thanks to the depredations of the disease. I've dealt with it by not driving too far - my limit now is around thirty miles - fifteen out and fifteen back, although on better days I can go a little further. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
    Driving was always a balancing act for me - did the journey warrant the pain. Once I decided it didn't and, for the amount I could do taxis would be cheaper, I gave up.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • ouchpotato
    DD, I am definitely going to have to limit the distance, the pain is just ridiculous. My ankle was also really painful last night after the drive, and my knee too so it is getting worse.

I would hate to have to give it up altogether, but I may just keep the car for occasions when I can't get somewhere any other way. It's handy for parent's evenings for instance when the bus in the cold and dark would be horrid. But for shopping etc I can get the bus.

Barbara, I don't get any DLA. I did apply a couple of years ago but of course I was turned down. Things are worse now though so I may have to re-apply.

x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I invested part of my inheritance on a new-ish car late last year, I do less than two thousand miles per annum but at least I can do them in relative 'comfort'. I will not stop until I really have to - if I can manage a run to the seaside then I will because that is a tonic but I know I cannot drive long-distance. If it's not worth the payback then it's a journey that doesn't need to be made. Rocket science it ain't. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ouchpotato
    DD, I would love the coast to be within reasonable reach, and that would definitely be worth the pay back if it were as I adore the coast, but unfortunately we are about as far inland as you can get! Actually there aren't many things I can think of that would warrant the pain of driving so I guess there's my answer!
  • petals
    petals Member Posts: 217
    I changed my car for an automatic. It is much easier on your arms, back and legs.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Ouch
    I don't think I would give up my driving {not altogether} I'm towards the end of my 6 weeks THR where I cant drive and I've still got another minimum 6 weeks because of this fracture. :shock:
    If it wasn't for Peter being retired and able to take me places I would go "scatty" even now I hate being so dependent o him :?

I used to do social research where I was given an area {could be 20 miles away} then various house around that place so quite a lot of driving. :shock:
    No more!!!!!!! but I couldn't be without my car........I am reasonably far out and there are little villages that I go to a lot {a lot of activities there} but it would have to be 2 buses :o whereas 5 to 10 mins gets me there in the car. :wink:
    Even our village........there is a very steep hill that I need to climb {buses are few and far between here} to get there. I couldn't do that so I drive to the top of that hill, park the car get the crutches out and then walk. :D

I think what I'm saying is......keep driving as long as it is safe to do so but don't drive very far.....just the necessary journeys.
    Sorry for the ramble :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • Lubs
    Lubs Member Posts: 155
    Hi Ouch,

Just this last week I came to the decision to stop driving. I get pain down both legs, my feet suffer from pins and needles and when holding onto the steering wheel (which is kind of important) my hands really hurt, again, they go numb with pins and needles.

This is the same for me when I'm driving a short distance (a mile to my mothers) or to work (4 miles). Currently I'm signed off from work.

My husband had to take me to the infliximab clinic yesterday, where we both fell asleep in the chairs, upon waking I thought I would find him attached to a saline drip! :lol: I hate not being mobile and having to rely on others, but safety for me and other road users comes first!

Hope you figure it out, mention it to the rheumatology team and they could do an MRI to determine if any of the conditions are becoming worse. :!: only do short journeys until then!

Take care
    Lubs