greater trochanteric pain syndrome

cyto1
cyto1 Member Posts: 5
edited 4. Mar 2014, 07:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
Can anyone tell Me how to help the pain on walking with greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome,please?I am 3years Post Op Total Hip Replacement & Have had pain ever since.It is much worse at the moment & even walking a short distance is very painful.VERY frustrating!I have had RA 30+years.

Comments

• ouchpotato
    ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi, I don't have that (isn't that what they also call tronchanteric bursitis?) but I do have horrendous front of thigh pain so I can sympathise. Not entirely sure what exactly is causing it yet, it could be a number of things. I have OA of the spine, facet joint arthritis, spinal stenosis and ruptured discs and they're not really sure what is causing it. I think it comes from the hip joint.
    I was given amitriptyline to help with it, but it doesn't really help to be honest so next stop is an xray guided injection.
  • ouchpotato
    ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
    Meant to ask, where exactly is the pain? Is it the side of the thigh or the front? Mine is a deep burning ache, bone deep as I explain it.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Hello and welcome to the forum
    Sorry I wont be much help,but I had a THR 7 months ago, was fine at the beginning but now have pain down my leg..my thigh into my calf, they say it is coming from my back, but I haven't a clue..hope someones comes along soon with some answers for you.
    Love
    Barbara
  • cyto1
    cyto1 Member Posts: 5
    The pain I have is both on outside of thigh & deep inside plus in the Hip joint itself.Sore to lie on but OK sitting but as soon as I weight bear it starts hurting & becomes worse after walking a short distance,even with help of walking stick & 1/2cm insert in shoe to correct shortened leg.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh my word, this sounds utterly miserable on top of the RA, I am sorry. I too have constant pain thanks to the depredations of psoriatic and osteo arthritis and am now reliant on walking aids. I use crutches for shorter trips and a rollator for any longer spells of lurching: the latter has a seat which is invaluable as I can rest whenever needed. Pain relief plays its part too, I keep it to the minimum with just four 30/500 co-codamols per day. Pain is a fact of life when one has arthritis but obviously the plan is to reduce it after replacement surgery, not increase it. I am not a medic but I wonder if something somewhere is pressing on a nerve? I am not a great googler but I will look up Trochanteric Pain - I've never heard of that. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    That is only the second time I have heard those 2 words. :o

The first time was when I had to go into hospital last Sunday and was told I had fractured my Greater Trochanter bone. :shock:

I was 4 weeks post op {THR} doing one of their exercises, standing on my good leg and putting the other leg out to the side when I heard a crack :shock: I collapsed on a chair, could not hold my weight at all. Hubby rang the hospital, they said ring 999
    Eventually after an x ray that was the result. A fracture.
    I was in hospital for 3 days, they said there was nothing they could do......it would heal on its own :roll: Exercise, walk a bit and keep on top of the pain and that was it!!!! I'm on crutches....cant walk at all without them
    Saying that I'm still only 5 weeks post op as well as the fracture.

pm me if you want to. :D

Love
    Hileena