Exercise

tinydancer
tinydancer Member Posts: 74
edited 5. Mar 2014, 17:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Does anyone go to exercise classes and what do you feel works for you? I was thinking of trying yoga...

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Yoga is very good for the body and the mind..but I cant get down on the floor..gentle stretching of all the limbs is always good..I do this in a morning before I get out of bed and after ..they do say that Thai chea is beneficial
    Love
    Barbara
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    I find chair yoga very helpful (can't do the regular type) and I loved tai chi. I just find the classes are too long and I get too wiped out.

A really good yoga teacher who has some education regarding arthritis and pain can really help. Mine does.

Some people find pilates good too, if you can do it.
  • Silvertortoise
    Silvertortoise Member Posts: 14
    I do pilates, it helps my achy back and because 90 per cent of the exercises are done on the floor my knees dont suffer ( i have OA in bobth knees)
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    I have started tai chi in a lovely little class and really enjoy it. That is the only class I attend but I do hooping, stretching exercises, lunges, jumping jacks and jogging on the spot indoors most days and try to walk 10000 plus steps per day - not always successful but over the week it usually balances out nicely.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Silvertortoise
    Silvertortoise Member Posts: 14
    Wow.i wish i could do all of that!!!!!Well done for looking after yourself so well, and yes, i do think a class like thai chi balances out the other type of exercise you are doing .When i used to do classes in a gim i used to do a class called BODY BALANCE , its a mix of thai chi, pilates and yoga,with music or at least i thought so, i know in some gims you can do it just paying for the class.So that s another possibility for you.good luck and take care!!!!
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I used to love running and aerobic classes and using the apparatus in the gym but haven't done anything like that for over 5 years now. I still work as a housekeeper so get quite a bit of exercise at work, I walk between 40 and sixty minutes a day as well as stretching every now and again during the day. I'm now thinking of finding some sort of exercise in a swimming pool. I'm terrified of water but think I would enjoy it. I like tai chi but there aren't any local classes.
    Christine
  • charleeh
    charleeh Member Posts: 173
    Hi,

I got me a brilliant Tai Chi DVD from Amazon for £20 - it's called Tai Chi for Arthritis... I love it, its real simple and soft but relaxing while you do it.

I love yoga, but it is a bit much for me these days (although I do have a go when I am up to it!).

I used to go to yoga classes; and I have been to two different Tai Chi classes and find it expensive - much prefer the DVD ;)

hope this helps :)

Charleeh