MRI results

ouchpotato
ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
edited 7. Mar 2014, 13:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone

I had a call from the rheumatology nurse this morning to give me the results of my latest MRI. They had been looking to see if I had ankylosing spondylitis. The MRI has shown moderate osteoarthritis of the lumbar spine, at L4/L5, and L5/S1, but no AS.

Along with the last results it seems I have the above, plus OA in shoulders, hands, knees, ankles and I think my hips. I also have spinal stenosis, ruptured disc and neuropathic pain in my thighs (probably from the disc).

I am pleased that I do not have to have the meds for inflammatory conditions, but it's also horrid knowing that there's nothing to be done for OA apart from pain control.

Ah well, at least I know now what I am dealing with.

x

Comments

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 9,128
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Ouchpotato
    I think you are a very strong brave lady all the problems you have yet you fight on.
    I know how hard it is for you. I have the same arthritis problems the ache wears you down.
    you take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Hello Ouch
    That sounds not unlike my MRI scans...Arthritis does seem to take over once it starts..like you say good news that you don't need the meds for the inflammatory ones...hopefully you will get a balance with what ever meds you take, maybe its time to see a pain clinic..sorry if you already have..my brain is mush at the min..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Hi Ouch,

It's all kind of depressing ain't it :?

On one hand it's a relief it's not autoimmune with all of its peculiarities & problems but at least with autoimmune types you have the prospect of meds that may control it whereas with OA it's almost put up & shut up :( I really feel for you (((hugs)))

I'm seeing my new rheumy next week so I'm hoping my mri results will be in to explain wot on earth is going on with my pelvis & spine. Fingers crossed its shown something that'll make sense of it!!

The one good thing is you have a comprehensive diagnosis ... I understand many don't even get that :shock:

Try & stay strong & positive.

Xxx xxX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
    Good that you don't have AS to add to the list, ouch, as you've quite enough to contend with without that. Kee :) p plugging away
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    I might be speaking out of turn but.... I had facet joint arthritis too and it doesn't have to go untreated. I was fused at my arthritic level just over a year ago and I haven't looked back since. If you have prolapsed discs there too it may be an option worth exploring. It is scary, but with the right surgeon, it can be a life changer.

I suffered with various spinal problems for years but am now better. If you want to ask me anything, please do.