Moving enbrel injection day, can anyone advise..

toady
toady Member Posts: 2,411
edited 7. Mar 2014, 18:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, just trying to save ringing rheumy if poss - I'm having to inject enbrel a day late, I remember the nurse originally saying they'd rather you didn't move your day if possible (with mtx they gave me a 'window') - so can anyone confirm from their own knowledge if I would be ok doing early today & back to late the following wednesday, or should I just stick to thursday now.

Thanks.

Comments

• toady
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Didn't put that very clearly - I will definitely be taking it today (that bit of the enbrel leaflet is clear enough) it's what you do after I don't quite get:

(quote) If you forget a dose you should inject it as soon as you remember, unless the next scheduled dose is the next day; in which case you should skip the next dose. Then continue to inject the medicine on the usual day(s).

(So you could could forget your wednesday dose & take it anytime up to the next tuesday? That sounds odd I would have thought anything after 48hrs or so and you would skip a dose. :shock:)

Anyway basically the bit I want to be clear on is whether going back to wednesdays will be ok.
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    toady wrote:
    Hi, just trying to save ringing rheumy if poss - I'm having to inject enbrel a day late, I remember the nurse originally saying they'd rather you didn't move your day if possible (with mtx they gave me a 'window') - so can anyone confirm from their own knowledge if I would be ok doing early today & back to late the following wednesday, or should I just stick to thursday now.

Thanks.

I can only speak for myself and the answer was yes, you I went back to the usual schedule and give it as usual on the wednesday if you have given it one day late.
  • toady
    Thank you, that is probably what I will do. If they didn't want you to ever have 2 nearer to each other than a full week then presumably the directions would be totally different - ie 'if you miss a dose take it as soon as you remember BUT then you must move your next one accordingly to preserve the correct gap'.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Can't help Toady sorry as it is OA I have, hope you get it sorted out soon..........Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    My meth day is usually Wednesday but should I forget then I do it on Thursday, returning the following week to Wednesday. My humira used to be on a Monday but I moved it to a Friday so I get a better first week-end.

When I was on Enbrel I had to do two injections per week so I opted for Blue Peter days. :D DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Mormodook
    Mormodook Member Posts: 130
    Hi I'm due to start enbrel soon. I asked rheumy nurse that same question 2 weeks ago . He said I'd be trained on a Monday meaning Monday was my day . Monday isn't an ideal day for me so I asked about how you go about changing it. He said move forward by 1 day each injection until you land up on your chosen day. What day do most people inject anyway ?

Can I also ask if the enbrel works for you? If this is too personal and nosey please ignore me.
    Take care x
  • toady
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    When I was on Enbrel I had to do two injections per week so I opted for Blue Peter days. :D DD

Like it :D sticky-backed plaster rather than plastic, not so much fun eh :roll:

Thanks, I remembered what I was told about late doses but not when to pick up again. I think they also said you could do your mtx & enbrel same day if required but didn't fancy that.
  • toady
    Mormodook wrote:
    He said move forward by 1 day each injection until you land up on your chosen day.

See I understand that (just!) because you will have a 7 day gap til you arrive where you want to be, sounds fine, it's just slightly longer between your first few doses.. but it doesn't address if you miss one, is a 5 day gap ok while you correct yourself for that week.

Anyway, to your question, enbrel worked (almost immediately) for me - where mtx did nothing at all - an overnight difference in my joints, and my bloods came fairly quickly down to normal-ish and have stayed that way for 2 years. No further joint deformity progression & much less stiff, only the occasional flicker of a flare. No side effects that I am aware of apart from 1 or 2 minor site reactions. However I personally feel it may be becoming less effective but I was very inflammatory to begin with & so my RA is not going to be a pushover I feel. That is just one individual, I was told average 5-7 years up & 10 or more of it working if you're lucky. Not nosey & personal at all, by the way, you're more than welcome to ask. :) Hope it helps you.

My injection day is for no particular reason, as I don't have side effects I don't need to work around anything.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Hi Toady
    Sorry I cant help, but didn't want to ignore you, good luck with it all
    Love
    Barbara
  • Sezeelson
    Sezeelson Member Posts: 133
    I'll inject up to 2 days late. My day is Saturday, but I have injected on Monday (late) Then back to Saturday with no problems :)

If I go over the 2 days I'll miss that dose unless I'm in absolute agony then I'll inject it when ever, leave the 5 days then inject until I'm back to Saturday.

Hope that makes sense! Lol
  • toady
    It does :D thanks very much. I'm not actually aware of my enbrel working week to week but I know some people do feel it wearing off between jabs. Back to wednesdays it is then.
  • Mormodook
    Mormodook Member Posts: 130
    "Not nosey & personal at all, by the way, you're more than welcome to ask. :) Hope it helps you." quote bit didnt work !

Thanks for the info Toady ! I hope you've worked out your Enbrel juggling act :)
  • Bioluminescence
    Bioluminescence Member Posts: 42
    I usually inject on a Saturday as I don't usually have much on and I know I can put something I want to watch on and give myself a sweet treat after (or before as an incentive..... :wink: ). I only really do it then for time reasons and a bit of flexibility. For instance if I don't feel ready to do it at lunch time I'll do it in the evening.

I'm on Humeria though not Enbrel.

Quick question, are you meant to take it out the fridge an hour before injecting or doesn't it matter? Is it potentially worse to leave it out of the fridge too long than to not do it at all?
  • toady
    Thanks for that. :) As for the injections I can only speak for enbrel not humira, but my leaflet says allow 15-30 mins to get to room temperature so I presume they mean ideally 'no more than'; & I tend to only allow around the 10-15 myself depending on winter/summer. Don't know if humira is any different but I should think it's the same principle, ie the only reason to take it out ahead is so you don't have to inject it ice-cold & it is happiest not being out of the fridge longer than necessary.

Thanks mormodook I will ok thanks to people's input.