Mid Foot Fusion - Experiences?

Options
sailrib
sailrib Member Posts: 327
edited 2. Aug 2016, 08:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had a triple fusion on my left foot in 2011 and a triple fusion of my right foot last year.

I just got a letter of my surgeon today asking me to see him regards fusing my left mid foot.

I wasn't expecting such a quick turnaround of operations, if that makes sense.

Feel a bit scared as the letter says midfoot is more complicated.

Anyone got any experience of midfoot fusion surgery and how was it for you etc? Thank you :)

Comments

• trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi , had my right quadruple ankle joint fusion in 2001 & told needed the main ankle joint done at some time & triple fusion on left ankle in 2009 , know at some point will have to get the main joints dont but in no rush

dont understand why they did not do it when they done the other operations , personaly I get used to the pain after so many years , get good footware & I use a TENS to help with the pain (circulation booster v3) + it will help with the long term problems with circulation you may end up getting

they can do diagnostic assessment on your joints by injecting an anesthetic into the joints & working out how effective the operation would be
  • sailrib
    Options
    I've had injections in to the joints for about a year but the surgeon says there isn't any point in doing them now. He says the next step is to do the fusion of the mid-foot.

They didn't do it in 2011 when I had my left side done because it wasn't hurting me. I didn't even tho I had the damage back then but have since found out that mild damage was showing up on X-ray etc in my mid-foot back then anyway but just wasn't severe enough for me to notice much. :)
  • sailrib
    Options
    Bump :)
  • sailrib
    Options
    Anyone had mid-foot fusion done? How is the pain now? My surgeon says its normal to still be in pain after mid-foot fusion but I am curious how the pain is. I'll be happy with a consent level pain where I can exercise without the pain going through the roof. Does that happen?
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,932
    Options
    Hello Sailrib
    I had a mid foot triple fusion 3 years a go i had the pain n my foot went to see the doctor and then had a x-ray and I was booked for the fusion
    I have not had any pain in my foot since.
    I was told some times you have to have your ankle replaced.
    I had my leg in plaster for 13 weeks after 6 weeks I had a air boot.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Ginni
    Ginni Member Posts: 2
    Options
    dachshund wrote:
    Hello Sailrib
    I had a mid foot triple fusion 3 years a go i had the pain n my foot went to see the doctor and then had a x-ray and I was booked for the fusion
    I have not had any pain in my foot since.
    I was told some times you have to have your ankle replaced.
    I had my leg in plaster for 13 weeks after 6 weeks I had a air boot.
    take care
    joan xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Hello Ginni and welcome to the forum :D

I think you might have found it all a bit confusing as do many of us at first. You clearly managed to find 'sailrib's old thread but I think you then clicked on the bit that says 'quote' rather than the bit that says 'reply'. Or, maybe you wanted to do both in which case you were on the right lines but should then have typed your post underneath the quote by 'dachsund'.

Please try us again. You'll get there in the end :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums Ginni from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Mod John
  • Ginni
    Ginni Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I, also, have had a triple midfoot fusion and gone through most of the experiences and annoyances previously mentioned. I am currently seven months post op, but am still experiencing pain and burning while walking. I was expecting this to be a nine month process. My surgeon is pleased with the fusion/healing, but am concerned that I still have as much pain as I do. I would appreciated any feedback from those who have had midfoot fusion and are further along.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    I don't think many on here have had this op and certainly not many 'regulars' though 'dachsund' has so you might try sending her a PM. If you click on here http://tinyurl.com/hh4mtyp all the former threads on it come up.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright