UPDATE ON THR APPOINTMENT

Options
hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 9. Mar 2014, 08:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
:wink: Hi
What a long day.......I arrived at the hospital at 10.50am for 11am......was told I didn't have an appointment :o
I'm 6 weeks THR today.....I know the appointments aren't exactly 6 weeks after the THR. It just happened to be today.

I insisted {although I didn't have me letter with me} that it was today. :x After she checked through the computer she eventually said "Oh its been cancelled.....its now May 16th" :shock: I said I hadn't got a cancellation letter and the 16th of May was about 16 weeks after my THR and I had a fracture of the Greater Trochanter bone as well so wasn't waiting that length of time :x
She then said I'll check with Mr Asaad......came back and said he'll see you but go an have your X Ray first. OK Of I toddle to the X Ray dept.......it was packed to over flowing......One of the machines was out of order........waited until 12.20 and was eventually seen.
Was sent back to see the consultant.......I had my dressing changed yesterday and the nurse was coming back on Monday.....he said he would check it today.....seems OK and he gave Peter another dressing incase it started weeping again.
He checked my walking....said I should try and do with one crutch.....I'm 6 weeks post op THR and 1 week and 5 days since I fractured it. I thought I was doing quite well on two crutches.....but no....... use one crutch!!!!!!!
I'll have "a dip" probably when it heals.
He noticed my ankle and leg was swollen.....come back at 4pm for a scan......just a precaution incase its DVT so I met my daughter for coffee then went back.
Seems to be oedema {no clot visible thank goodness} could I get anyone to give me any advice on the best thing to do for it......could I heck!!!!!!!
I've got a Physio appointment in a couple of weeks time and another appointment with the consultant in about weeks time.
To make matters worse I think I have pulled a muscle in my side....right side....opposite to the THR. It is horrendous to walk with crutches. really hurts.
Sorry that's my ramble over for today.
I think

Love
Hileena

Comments

• bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It sound like you've had the day from hell. Hope you start to feel better soon. I'm glad you stood your ground when they told you your appointment was cancelled, it would be ridiculous to have to wait another 6 weeks especially under the circumstances. Debx
  • fortuna
    fortuna Member Posts: 149
    Options
    What an awful day for you. Do hope you will feel better tomorrow,
    Fortuna
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Well done for sticking up for yourself, but it sounds like a dreadful day. Hope your muscle heals quickly.

Deb x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hileena I am sure these people think all there patience are fit and well and go there for a day out..they don't see the struggling to get there and the waiting around, in pain may I had..oh I am blinking annoyed for you ..I just hope the next appointment goes ok ...if not I would complain...bet you are shattered..hope you get a good sleep tonight..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Sarah01
    Sarah01 Member Posts: 192
    Options
    Hi Hileena,

So sorry to hear about all the going on you had today. You would have thought they would have had the decency to inform you your appointment had been cancelled. How on earth could they expect you to wait 16 weeks for a follow up after everything you have been through???

I'm so glad you managed to see him and the swelling is not a DVT. Bit strange he is asking you to walk on one crutch but I guess he knows best :wink:

I won't ramble on here as I see you have sent me a PM so I will reply to you on there :)

Take care
    Sarah x
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Everyone
    Sorry I'm so down at the minute. :(
    Its this muscle/rib or whatever that is making me feel like this.
    I said a pulled muscle...to be honest I don't know.....it could be a rib :? ....but whatever it is its blinkin' sore and certainly impeding my walking. I can barely walk with 2 crutches {not without a lot of pain}Its the opposite side to my THR and fracture so don't know what way to use the crutches to make it a bit easier. :roll:
    This is the first 10.35pm I've come online since I put that first post in and that's not like me :wink:
    I know we aren't docs but anyone with suggestions what it might be just shout.
    I think a pulled muscle or a bruised/cracked rib.
    Probably wont make any difference anyway....it will go eventually.

Love
    Hileena
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Hileena, what a terrible day you've had. I'm wondering if it is a pulled muscle. I'm sure you are not walking normally if you are using crutches and your body does use other muscles to compensate. Maybe get you GP to check you out. Hope you manage to get some sleep tonight.
    Christine
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Christine
    A pulled muscle was the first thing I thought about because of using the crutches and not walking normally.
    Oh well its the weekend now.......I'll survive until Mon then see how I am and ring the GP if necessary

Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Oh bilhooks! It never rains.....

I'm so sorry, Hileena. It does sound like a pulled muscle though please don't take my word for it. I think I'd be trying not to do anything to antagonise it, trying to work out which way to stretch to relieve it and, I guess, planning a gP trip on Monday just to be sure. Heat might help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Options
    Thanks Sticky
    {Came out as stocky again} :lol: only I noticed it this time :lol:
    You know I'll not take your word for it......just wanted opinions.
    I'm not as bad today.....still sore but I would say yesterday was agony....so its an improvement.
    Love
    Hileena
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Glad it seems a bit better today. Hope tomorrow's even better.
    Christine
  • hileena111
    Options
    Thanks Christine
    Why does anything sore seem to get worse at night :lol:
    Never mind hopefully it will be a bit better in the morning

Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    hileena111 wrote:
    Why does anything sore seem to get worse at night :lol:

It's an interesting question. I think maybe it's our reserves of strength and coping mechanisms that are reduced owing to tiredness.

I, too, hope today is better for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh hileena, I apologise for going AWOL on you - been having a rough time myself but am coming out of it somewhat now. We can hurt ourselves in all kinds of odd ways and not realise until later that summat is amiss: have you Deep-Heated the possibly pulled muscle? That may help to ease matters. I cannot think of anything else that will help apart from that dread word 'rest'. We are going away for a few days tomorrow so I can sit inside another set of walls whilst he goes out and does stuff but he definitely needs a break so I won't be too grumbly. :wink: I'm not taking the forum with me but I will be thinking of you. ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Sticky and DD
    You are probably right Sticky
    DD....I have deep heated it :lol: I think it was the scan that did it {as well as the x ray} the scan was because my ankles and legs were swollen and it took a long time and I was put in all sorts of strange positions :lol:
    So looking back that could be it.
    I do feel better {muscle wise anyway}
    Enjoy your time away......even if it is different walls it makes a change.
    Hear you when you get back

Love
    Hileena