What would you do? Feeling indecisive

Options
dibdab
dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
edited 8. Mar 2014, 15:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just thought I'd try picking your brains please. I'm due to inject methotrexate today, but have earache and sinus pain. My instinct says give it a miss this week and give the immune system a chance, but my joints have been sore for weeks and I'm worried that if I miss a week it will flare up even more :(

I know I should phone the rheumy nurse, or ask my GP, but can't do either of those till Monday. I've been injecting the meth for 8 weeks now and wondered whether those with rather more experience might share their opinions please.

The last few weeks have been trying to say the least with pain in hands, shoulders, ankles, feet and hips- wonderful thing this RA! It's beginning to wear me down, but I'm putting off asking about a steroid injection on the grounds that I already put way too much medication into my system. It's my birthday tomorrow and the thing I'd really like is a good nights sleep- but I don't suppose any of the parcels will come with that inside :? .

Sorry, moan over, just needed to say it to someone other than my long suffering OH, and some one who would understand. Thank you for listening.

Deb x

Comments

• toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,180
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh dear :( so sorry you're having a grotty day before your birthday and a dilemma to boot.. sorry I can't really advise as I haven't had the exact situation though I am on mtx, some people here seem to advise skipping if you are fighting off an actual infection etc but it depends what's behind your ear & sinus trouble I expect. 8 weeks isn't long to be on the mtx anyway so I can see why you don't really want to miss a dose so soon.

Hope someone else can help & wish I had a magic wand to give you a decent night, I'll do my best by remote power-of-thought & hope you can enjoy your day as far as possible.. toady x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    First of all, deb, Happy Birthday!

Well, I hope it will be happy but you certainly sound as if you had a dilemma on your hands last night. Sorry I wasn't here to help. I expect, one way or another, it's been resolved by now.

I've never been told to skip my meth but I do occasionally if I feel the situation warrants it :oops: Having said that, I've been on it for years, I'm stable on it and so are all my blood tests. You're in a very different situation.

To pred or not to pred? I don't know. We all have to make that tricky decision from time to time though I don't worry about the jabs only the pills. I also don't know how much other medication you're on. Swings and roundabouts, I'm afraid.

Oh I do hope the birthday is good, despite all the dross that arthritis brings! ((()))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Thank you both. I decided against the meth because my ear/sinus are still painful and as I have asthma/lung damage from the RA I'm really prone to getting chest infections if I have any problems around the airways!! :?

I'll ring the rheumy nurse on Monday to ask about joints/pred- sometimes grinning and bearing it gets too much.

So far I'm having a lovely birthday and have plans to meet the family later for a meal, and my sister who has been baking. Guess I'm a lucky lady really despite the health.

Deb x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Yes. I guess your family are quite lucky too that you don't allow your very real problems to dominate. Have a great day :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Happy birthday deb
    :D
    Best wishes from
    Mod B & the web team
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Happy Birthday :D:D
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    For what it's worth I think you have made the right decision. My hospital has always told me to stop the meth etc. when I catch a bug so I do - and always feel 'better' in myself which is pleasant. I reckon that the residual amount of meth in your system should see you clear for a week or two - I hope so.

I hope you are enjoying your day - all the best people are born in March. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,180
    Options
    just a little extra greeting to say glad things are going well & to wish you many happy returns t3306.gif I admire your ability to use 'lovely' in the same sentence as 'birthday', that shows an enviable attitude, good for you. hope your sinus trouble &c resolves and that consulting on your ra situation proves useful. x
  • Tubby
    Tubby Member Posts: 177
    Options
    Right decision, I think. It is certainly what I would have done. Have a great Birthday :D