day dawned

Options
newbygran
newbygran Member Posts: 96
edited 14. Apr 2014, 07:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone, yes l had THR.. went in on frid 21st had it 3 hours later, l had a few problems crop up and 3 days later l was put in a private room for 2 more days.. the Pembury and Tonbridgewells hospital is a new place really nice good staff,... l am glad the time seems to be flying past, hate sleeping on my back l usually curl up in a ball, OH is good at everything it seems from washing me and the laundry to cooking and mrs mopping,( l'm keeping my eye on him) l had my staples out today was a bit stingy, started to walk about a bit l must not put full weight on it yet as it has a hairline fracture,... l was scared but glad it's on the mend, thanks for all the encouragement l got from everyone XXXXX.....

Comments

• toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,135
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It sounds as though you are doing really really well considering it's only a couple of weeks :) wishing you all the best with your recuperation, glad you had a good experience at hospital despite the early problems. Must be very glad to have it behind you. :)
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    You are doing well......its surprising what the men can do when left to it....maybe not the way we would do it but never mind.
    I'm 6 weeks post op today......have had a few complications as well.........doing one of their exercises I fractured the Greater Trachantor {sp} bone......so that's added another 6 weeks to the original six weeks :roll:

Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Well done, newbygran! And Mr Newbygran :lol: These ops are a learning curve for all of us :) Keep plugging away. I hope things continue to go well.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Well done, my lovely - it's sounding OK so far so please keep up with the good work and don't get too impatient; the dangerous time is when one feels that things are going well, I am in that phase myself albeit with only a broken-in-three-places-left arm. At least your 'injury' was planned. :wink: Take care. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • newbygran
    Options
    I'm fed up and I could cry for ever, had to go back in hospital pain became unbearable, I have a DVT in my leg its heavy and swollen,tom called out doctor who said it was a muscle spasm an prescribed diazapan, hour later tom called ambulance that took me to maidstone hospital where I spent the night having tests and sleeping on a trolley next day had a scan showed I had a DVT, after that I was put in a waiting room for the day on a drip sitting on a chair i had a bed found in the late afternoon, it was full of noisy old ladies who had no idea where or who they were by this time I was so tired I couldn't even cry let alone sleep,next morning they said I could go home after I had more blood tests, I left at 5 o'clock with blood thinning drugs., home at last , to a cup of tea and a good cry. Sorry about rambling on, has anyone else had a DVT and if so now long did it take to get over it,',,,
  • stickywicket
    Options
    That sounds like a very unpleasant setback and no wondee you're fed up. Well done to Mr NB for getting you into hospital. I've no experience of DVTs. The drugs are to dissolve the clot but I don't know how long it takes. If you're not completely right by the end of the course of treatment go back straight away. This needs knocking on the head. I hope things are back to normal asap..
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Options
    Oh Newbygran
    I'm so sorry.......I had to have a scan because my ankle and leg was swollen and he thought it might be DVT {post op 6 weeks} as it turned out it was oedema........not DVT but the "passion killers" are back on again :roll: I finished my injections so they didn't give me any more......just keept the stockings on until I saw him in weeks.
    Sorry that's the nearest I've come to it and the stockings {horrible as they are} seem to be working

Love
    Hileena
  • JasmineTheodora
    JasmineTheodora Member Posts: 21
    Options
    I hope you make a speedy recovery Newbygran after your setback.

Best wishes
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Awww I am so sorry to read this, how rotten for you , I can imagine how exhausted your are...I count myself so lucky getting through my THR with out any mishaps..apart from the fainting when they got me up..I'm glad to see are are now in your own home..and I hope you have a straight forward recovery from now..please let us know how you get on (((()))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • newbygran
    Options
    went for my 6 week check up, saw a different Doctor, as per usual my mind went blank, cant remember much of what was said,he told me l was unlucky to get a clot, and that l need to come back in 3 months time, he did say l don't need the TED stockings now which l shall ignore and carry on using, now l am using a walking stick and managing to walk around the block, bit slow as l still have a swollen leg from my DVT, l feel a lot better but still a bit spaced out, must be the tablets, l tried having a bath and found l could,nt sit down, O H scrubbed me , will try the shower next time.. still got no energy and fall asleep easy, cant believe 6 weeks have passed...
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Newbygran
    Hope things keep going well for you. :)
    My 6 week apt stretched to a 10 week one because of the fracture and the oedema. Just saw him last week and was told to take the TEDS off....I did.....after 10 weeks!!!!!!
    You seem as if you are managing very well....I can only do about 10 mins on 1 crutch at the most and 15/20 on two and that's it and that's more than 10 weeks on. :shock:
    I haven't managed a bath either.....sitting on the bath board washing myself with Peter doing my back....they do come in handy sometimes don't they :lol: is the nearest I've managed.
    Keep going!!
    Love
    Hileena
  • purplepatch
    purplepatch Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi Newbygran,
    After my THR I had a similar experience to you with a DVT about a week after the op. It showed itself as a very tight area behind my knee. My doctor (GP over the phone!) told me it was nothing to worry about & would settle down - it did but travelled about & I ended up with a pulmonary embolism 6 weeks later! As I was going on my usual constitutional around the block I became more & more breathless, luckily OH was with me & we hadn't got very far. It was diagnosed straight away & I was told to go to A&E immediately, they would be waiting for me - and they were! I don't think I realised how serious it was at the time. I had an injection of something in A&E which they were quite vague about (probably heparin) & then spent a few days in hospital where they gave me a series of heparin injections. I then had 3 months on warfarin, which I found very tiring (it was supposed to be 6 months but I stopped it after 3 as I couldn't take the side effects any longer) & I'm still here 9 years later!
    So the moral of the story is, keep the TED's on & keep moving & be vigilant! I know hospital is the last place you want to go back to & I cried too!
    Take care,
    Purple
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh dear, you are having a time of it, aren't you? Your body has had two enormous shocks pretty close together and it takes time to recover and recuperate. You know best how you feel and what needs to be done so do what you need, do it sensibly, don't be afraid to sleep at all odd hours of the day because your body needs its rest. Healing is one of those processes that slow as we age, we lose our 'bounce-back-ability' the older we are. At least the days are brighter and longer - my favourite time to have an operation is March-April time because the better weather helps me when convalescing. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • newbygran
    Options
    Thank you for your replys, My daughter went and got me a bath board and has made it easy to shower, (thanks for that Hileena :D ),,have tried to sleep in my usual position and not on my back,it's just not comfy anymore :( , l wake up with a bad backache, im wondering if there are any good gel rubs anyone has tried, must be asprin free,and compatable with paracetemol, had the back problem before the hip op, bulging disc and OA in the base of my spine, just seems worse since having to sleep on my back... :x OH took me out today to the shop then took me to sit by the river at Wateringbury not far from where l live, it was lovely sunshine :D , and all the swans and ducks swimming about great and watching all the boats going up and down river, l miss the boat we had afew years ago, when l got back home slept for hour and half, my leg and foot still swollen back of the knee makes it hard to walk properly, but l am feeling better, not 10/10 yet, maybe next year who knows. take care everyone.. jacky
  • stickywicket
    Options
    You've had a difficult time and no mistake but you are starting to improve just as the weather is doing so there'll be plenty to look forward to.

As for sleeping – I was always told the sleeping on the back was for 6 weeks only but I think it can depend on other stuff as well so don't make any changes without checking with your team. A pillow between the legs always made me feel a bit safer from crossing my legs and potentially dislocating the hip.
    Steven Wright
  • newbygran
    Options
    I never had a back up team, had to find out everything myself, only physio I had showed me how to use my crutches, booklet showed me the excersizes to do and not to bend over to far, when I got my dvt, we rang the hospital and got no reply from the number,( it was at night) OH called out the GP on duty, who said it was muscle spasm and prescribed diazapan, hour later call 111 and they sent ambulance straight away and was later told it was a DVT, my GP retired last week, so have to have a new one same surgery, my 6 week follow up was in and out so quick,he ( different doctor) didn't even look at the operation scar , I have an appointment in July for the doctors at the surgery, and another one for the hospital, I hope to be fit enough to be signed off and put it all behind me, rubbish year me thinks ! sorry for rant
    I could go on... off for a walk now regards jacky
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I note your other thread, fortuna, and I think it's quite possible that this is a meth rash if you've been in the sun. Shade and sunscreen are important for us meth-takers. If yours has come and gone then try staying out of the sun and see if that works. If not, maybe you need to check with your helpline.

As for the swelling, are you drinking enough fluids? I know it might be tempting not to if fluid is a problem but it can sometimes be the answer to the problem. I'm no doc though so, if it persists do go back to yours.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    Options
    You have had a rubbish year so a rant is quite in order :)

Re sleeping on one's side with a pillow between the knees – I'm fairly confident that, without the DVT, that would be perfectly safe to do now but I don't know if the DVT would complicate matters. Your GP ought to be able to tell you, though.

Enjoy the walk :D
    Steven Wright
  • newbygran
    Options
    just cant believe it, hospital has just rang and asked me how the scar was healing, I said it was good but that I did get a dvt,and she said she only had to find out how the scar was, beggers belief I had an appointment on the 7th of April, why couldn't they have a look then, oohhh blood boiling now... :x