Embarrassing Problems

Options
louise7111
louise7111 Member Posts: 31
edited 8. Mar 2014, 16:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi guys, this has taken me quite a while to pluck up the courage to ask about this.
I'm so embarrassed even though I know there are other people who will be in exactly the same situation.
I'm 42 & have osteoarthritis in my hands, wrists & knees. My hands & fingers are having a flare and unfortunately I'm having trouble wiping myself after using the toilet.
Does anyone have any tips? It's making me so upset that I can't perform a task that everyone takes for granted.

Best wishes

Louise

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well done on plucking ip the courage, Louise! I bit the bullet a few years ago when stuff was exceptionally bad. I determined to ask the nice people at my local disability shop if they had a bottom wiper gadget. I was a bit discombobulated when I entered the shop to find a young lad behind the counter but I steeled myself and asked as if it were the most natural think in the world. He replied im the same vein and I bought a very simple gadget which I rarely need but which makes a vital difference occasionally. Go for it! Try qn online store if you prefer.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • louise7111
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. I've just seen the gadget you mentioned online. I was wondering how I would get on gripping it?
    Maybe I would prefer buying online lol. Was wondering if to try the wet wipe type toilet wipes. Have you tried them?
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Louise, I use normal baby wet wipes sometimes. I think if they are good enough for babies, they are good enough for me. And much cheaper.
    Christine
  • louise7111
    Options
    That's so true Christine. Thank you for the tip. Will take myself shopping tomorrow :D
  • sailrib
    sailrib Member Posts: 327
    Options
    My mum got a toilet funded to help her wipe. When you flush, it also washes you and then dries you. It's a very good toilet but I think quite expensive. I'm not 100% of the cost of it but my mum got it 100% funded. Hope you manage to find some solutions.
  • Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    Options
    I was going to suggest wipes or a flannel that you wash after use. At times I had to wipe my btm from the front, i know its not advised because of the risk of faecal contamination of either urethra/vagina, but it worked ok for me when I couldn't do it the traditional way.
    We had a bidet in our hotel bathroom last year, it was bliss! You rarely come across them here. I've see adverts for these special cleansing loos, but i wonder how well they get into nooks & cranies.
    Good luck.
  • fortuna
    fortuna Member Posts: 149
    Options
    I used Andrews washlets when having the same problem. They are flushable which baby wipes are not.
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    That's a good point about the baby wipes Fortuna. I don't flush them but a lot of people don't realise you shouldn't. Our drains are very shallow and it was found that someone was flushing them as well as nappies when we had to get someone out to unblock them. :shock:
    Christine
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I hadn't actually seen the wipes as an alternative to a bottom wiper. I use both ie attach one to the other. As for gripping it - I see there are several types on the market. Mine has a sort of looped handle (like an elongated '0' so one can either grip one side of it by putting one's fingers through the circle or grasping it round the edges as I do since that requires much less of a grip.
    Steven Wright
  • ouchpotato
    ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
    Options
    Louise, I know how you feel. I'm 45 and I have OA in my spine which makes it almost impossible to contort my body into a position where I can reach. I have broken many toilet seats in the process! I also have it in other areas including my hands and wrists...when it is at it's worst I also find it difficult holding things. I have just these past few days decided to buy a super duper wiper thing...why not use anything which makes life easier? You wouldn't think twice about using an electric jar opener or can opener would you (which are both on my shopping list now) That's the way I look at it now anyway.
    It does feel mortifying doesn't it, but there are many people in the same boat as us, sadly.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    My friend has one of the all-singing-all-dancing lavatories and loves it. The Andrex wetties are OK but leave one rather damp so further effort is required to dry oneself properly which can cause further discomfort. Life is a malarkey at times and far from easy, yes? I would go to my local disability shop and 'handle' the goods, so to speak, to see if I could manage the necessary manoeuvres.

When I had my double carpal tunnel op I employed the services of my husband - much hilarity ensued. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ouchpotato
    Options
    Oh Lord DD...that did make me laugh! I have all kinds of images in my mind but may I say what a star Mr DD must be! I am single, and can't ever imagine asking the kids to do that for me...I can see the horror on their faces now! :lol:
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Ouch, last time I was at my son's he saw 'the object' (I always take it as a precaution to ensure I won't need it :wink: ) and asked what it was. "Son" I replied, "You really don't want to know." "Oh OK" he said and exited sharply before I might tell him anyway :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • mamasmurf
    mamasmurf Member Posts: 89
    Options
    When I spoke to my OT about this a few years ago , she was shocked that my loving hubby assisted me with this task and organised the fitting of my posh loo . It truly does everything for me including drying after the wash ; I would be lost without it now .
    mamasmurf
  • ouchpotato
    Options
    Mamasmurf, oh the luxury of having a loo like that! I physically can't 'get there' as my back is so stiff and painful that I have very limited movement in it. I think I have gone through 4 or 5 toilet seats since moving in to this house 4+ years ago. It always ends with me grunting and groaning and swearing under my breath!