Had a nasty cold virus and my Arthur pain is much better!

Options
justinbarrow
justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
edited 10. Mar 2014, 17:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
I don't get this over the last few days I have been suffering from a nasty cold/cough virus and ever since I came down with this my pain is a lot easier to cope with. I phoned the Dr and he said that sometimes the pain with a condition is sometimes a cause of a persons immune system attacking parts of the body that it shouldn't (hence the pain) But when you have a bad viral infection your immune system is so busy fighting something that it should be fighting that it sort of stops attacking cells that cause pain and discomfort related to Arthritis conditions.

Has anyone else heard this? as although i have a high temp and feel full of cold my bone pain seems better, I'm confused.

I wouldn't want to feel like this all the time for the sake of relief from bone pain and it will certainly be interesting when this virus goes away that my pain comes back.

Very confused or maybe its just that its one of those very rare good spells we get. I'm so glad in a way as I am coughing loads and have gunk on my chest and it would really hurt keep coughing with the level of joint pain I have had recently.

Hope everyone is as well as can be with their aches and pains.

Comments

• sailrib
    sailrib Member Posts: 327
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    What your Dr says seems very true.

Hope you feel better soon but your Arthur isn't as painful when you get over your cold :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Hm I'm just the opposite. Anything that raises my body temperature sets my RA off. In the bad old days ovulation was a nuisance :lol:

Anyway, Justin, enjoy it while it lasts. Then search out another? :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • justinbarrow
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, It certainly is interesting how our bodies work, It was a nasty virus and im still trying to get my chest clear, just feeling a bit dizzy today as my ears are blocked.

I know the ease of pain i my bones will be short lived and will return once my immune system gets fed up and decides to turn on its self again :roll: then the pain im sure will be back.

Sods law though I have been able to tolerate laying on my side while sleeping (usually i have to sit up) but then the cough starts and stops me getting some decent rest (cant win) then when this clears up the bone pains will be back and I will be back to square one lol :) gotta smile.

It points more on probably how entanercept works as I have heard that when taking this you are prone to more infections because it reduces your immune system but by doing this relieves pain and stiffness symptoms so there must be some sort of connection, strange how our bodies work isn't it.

Hope everyone is ok on this sunny Sunday morning.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    All the DMARDs and anti-TNFs are immune-suppressants which is why we have to be so careful to avoid infections; we do not produce symptoms until things are fairly advanced because our immune systems don't fire up. Personally I rather enjoy being properly 'ill' i.e. on antibiotics because I stop the meth etc. and then feel better in myself! :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Mormodook
    Mormodook Member Posts: 130
    Options
    I have kind of been like this too sometimes. After I've got over the bug my immune system wants to give my RA a good kicking just for its own enjoyment ! I've often thought it would be nice if we could reset out immune systems back to factory setting like you do with an old phone :)
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I get this too. I know when I'm getting a bad virus or an infection because my joint symptoms suddenly ease up. That said, it does come back twice as bad once I've recovered though. Bodies are strange creatures!
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I have the opposite; any virus triggers a ferocious flare. I avoid sick people like crazy, do a lot of hand-washing, sanitizers, etc.
    Take care.
  • ruby2
    ruby2 Member Posts: 423
    Options
    I am exactly the same....dont feel like I have arthritis at all and can forego the anti inflams and survive on a couple of paracetamol.
    My Rheumy didnt seem to believe me, I thought she might have thought I was a medical phenomenon!!
    It also takes a good few weeks before I need to take them again even after the infection has died down.
    Surely medical science can use this info to develop something for the likes of us! :)
    Ruby
  • justinbarrow
    Options
    Im so glad its not just me then - Certainly is strange though. MY joint pain is starting to re-appear now that im nearly over this infection. So like pointed out in this thread it will probably be back to full pain soon :(

Least im not the only one to experience this.