washing line

Options
clareh64
clareh64 Member Posts: 2
edited 16. Aug 2016, 02:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
Morning Everyone.

I am new on here and I am hoping someone will beable to help me. My Mum has to have a rotary washing line, can anyone suggest one that is easy for her to open and collapse.

Many thanks x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I would go for something small and lightweight - I used to have a rotary line but now don`t bother hanging stuff out - carrying it out is a chore when having to use crutches! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    This is a tricky one as we're all a bit different in what we can and can't do so what would suit one won't suit another. I can only suggest you check out reviews on Amazon and see what people say about various different ones. Better still, if possible, take your Mum to a shop where she can maybe try a few out. Sometimes, when my hands have been exceptionally awkward, I've just put the washing over a clothes horse and stuck it in the garden.

Many people just leave their rotary lines up all the time, in which case I'd assume the problems are no different to normal pegging out.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I leave my rotary line up all the time as Sticky says
    Until my husband mows the lawn and takes it down but he has to put it back :lol:
    I lower {or have him lower it and leave it there} to my height so that I don't have to stretch
    As for hanging it out {even with crutches} I get it out of the washing machine and as it comes out {I'm sitting on a chair} it goes over my shoulders and then I walk out
    The basket is on a garden chair. Things get dumped into that and I can balance to hang them so that's my way.
    I was giving a talk for Arthritis Care once to a group and we were talking about different ways of doing things....so I mentioned this.
    Someone said your shoulders must get very wet.
    Someone else said.....you need a hairdressers cape or something similar :lol: I hadn't thought of that :lol:
    Love
    Hileena
  • Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    Options
    The only time I attempted taking ours down (yrs ago, so design might have changed) it was heavy, unmanageable, I'm tall and strong, and got horribly tangled. Are there any solutions in the Lakeland or Coopers catalogues. I have a couple of what we call peggy driers, basically a frame with a hook to hang it up and lots of pegs dangling from it, have seen VERY expensive ones, ours came from the equivalent of Poundland at least 6 yrs ago!
  • hileena111
    Options
    I think Poundland still do them....I bought some a few years ago to hang on the rotary line to use for smaller things

Love
    Hileena
  • petals
    petals Member Posts: 217
    Options
    You can get small light weight ones from the camping shop, they are made portable for use when caravaning. Obviously you won't get as much washing on as you would a full size one but much easier to manage.

I have a huge great big thing but it never comes down. Hubby just strims around it.
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,932
    Options
    Hello Clare
    I have a problem carrying washing so I got a trolley you put the washing in and there's a bag on the side to put the pegs in.
    I have a rotary line I leave it up as I cannot close it and there's nobody else who could do it.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I live alone and found the best solution for me was one of those clothes airers you can get and I keep it up all the time in my small back room which conveniently gets a lot of sun. Smallish loads, carried in a carrier bag with shirts /trousers hung to dry on hangers to reduce ironing.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • valde
    valde Member Posts: 271
    Options
    I don't put mine down now, not for a couple of years. It takes longer than the straight one that had two line posts to wipe down but I know my hands would not allow me to push up and down. I also bought a large airer and I use that and dry in spare room if i have a bad day. After a while I got used to it but I wish you luck in your search and hope you find something suitable.
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Clare64
    Did you find a solution to your mams washing line?
    I think everyone seems in agreement. The easiest way is to leave it up and lower it to its lowest point.??
    Love
    Hileena