The saga of the baked beans and the butternut squash soup

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 11. Mar 2014, 17:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
After a flare up of epic proportions, my joints are less swollen and sore but still, pretty weak.

Yesterday, after a busy morning of essay writing, I fancied baked beans on toast. Easy peasy, I hear you say. Well, the electric tin opener had run out of batteries and try as I might, I could not use the manual one for love nor money. These things happen, I told myself, don't get stressed. So you can't use a tin opener? It doesn't matter, you can lots of other things.

To cheer me up regarding the prospect of a long week ahead, my lovely mum heated me her delicious homemade butternut squash soup and put it in a flask for me to take to work. I sat at my desk at lunchtime and do you think I could open the flask?

I am trying not to get disheartened. After all, it was only a flare up. However, I am aware that as the last of the cimzia leaves my system, things may not be so rosy. I guess the last few months, I began to take things for granted. How easy it was to slip into the role of independent Sophie who doesn't need aids or appliances or another person.

Comments

• Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh I am sorry Sophie. I would just remind yourself how well you are doing in your degree etc. Don't get disheartened. Hopefully you will get your meds sorted in the future :)
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Oh Sophie! We deal with all the big stuff then get floored by a flask of soup . Isn't that arthritis in a nutshell? I can so relate to that. I do hope you found someone to open it for you.

Yes, you need aids and appliances but don't we all? No shame in that. As for needing people - now you're talking. Everyone, everywhere needs people and, if arthritis makes us more aware of that, it's a plus as far as I'm concerned. Independence is something different and you have it in spades.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Thank you both. Today has been better. I made a sandwich and opened it all by myself. 8)
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Small victories that make us smile :D . If it's any comfort I can't remember when I last opened a bottle/jam jar/hot water bottle unaided-but as for baked beans- try the microwave single portion pots-much easier!!

Hope today is a good one for you.

Deb x
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    I love your attitude Sophie and it will get you so far in this world! A flask and tin opener may have defeated you but a humble sandwich won't. It reminds me of the fact that when they first went into space the Americans invented a special pen that could write in zero gravity. Clever or what?! The Russians took a pencil. Good luck with the Cimza coming out of your system. I'll be wishing you an easy ride, you so deserve one lovely lady xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter