Anti-depressants

Options
Kittkat
Kittkat Member Posts: 309
edited 12. Mar 2014, 06:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all
Hope you are all as well as possible. Havn't been on much lately. Have wanted to reply but fingers too sore. Just wondered has anyone tried anti-depressants/anti-anxiety pills to get them over a bad patch? Lately just been really overwhelmed with stuff and trying to do 'normal' things is damn exhausting. I have put off talking to my gp so I will have to make an appointment.
Thank you :)
How am I gonna be an optimist about this?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've never done them but, from reading on here, I know several do. They won't help the arthritis but they might make you feel better about things, especially if the arthritis is getting you down. I think your GP would be the best to advise.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    The only AD I have been on was Amitriptyline for to help me sleep, they did lift my mood a little but didn't do the job they were prescribed for so I came off them. Have a chat with your GP maybe having them short term will be enough to help you cope......................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Sezeelson
    Sezeelson Member Posts: 133
    Options
    Hi there :)

I've been on an SSRI called citalopram which is an antidepressant. I'm on it long term and have now been on maximum dose for about 3 years. It's no miracle cure but it has certainly helped a lot, especially in the mornings. I used to just wake up and stair into space, I was just to overwhelmed to get out of bed. I was completely numb. I felt awful. All that has thankfully changed now and I have quite a good morning routine in place.

I also suffer quite severe bouts of anxiety, I would lose touch with reality and would become a risk to myself - my Dr. Prescribed me something called seroquel which is an anti psychotic.

There is a risk when starting antidepressants that your symptoms actually worsen. It can take a few attempts to get the right medicine for you so it's very important that you have a strong supportive network around you and definitely get some councilling/talking therapy if it's available to you.

Wish you lots of luck and good health! I know how much of a struggle it can be!
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Options
    Hi Kittkat,

Sorry to hear about your fingers, as mine get pretty sore too. I haven't tried anti-depressants, but I do know people who have done well on them and I agree with the others, it's a good idea to have a chat with your GP.

Great post from Sezeelson, by the way :)

Best wishes,
    Phee
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    Options
    Hello Kitkat.
    Sorry you are having such a rough time. My husband has been taking a SSRI anti depressant for a few months now called Sertraline, it has certainly lifted his mood, but took around a month (and doubling of the dose) before he actually noticed an improvement, it was very gradual. He is now reducing it, I am glad of that and he seems well.
    Talk to your GP, see what he advises, I suppose it depends whether this is a passing phase that will lift again or do you really feel it has set in.
    Good luck, hope you find a solution.
    Fionabeex
  • charleeh
    charleeh Member Posts: 173
    Options
    Hi Kittkat

My Nan takes anti depressants, I think they do help her. I have a friend who takes them, and they help her immensely.

If things are overwhelming you it's good to just take out some you time. (I know it's easier said than done sometimes lol)

I find having this horrible debilitating disease very depressing most of the time and I try to make sure that when I am well enough I do something that makes me feel good, meditate, tai chi, or even better if I am really well get outdoors.

It is a bit of a battle of catch up with this condition, as soon as you feel a bit better there seems to be 101 things you need to do which you haven't been able to do. For me, a self confessed clean and tidy freak it really irritates me not being able to do washing, house work etc but sometimes I just hold my hands up, leave it all in a mess apart from the essentials and get on with doing something for 'me' while I am well.

Emotional health is very important in my opinion, finding something that makes you feel contented, whole and happy is the best solution. <3
    for me, I like being surrounded by nature, getting outside is an emotional cleanse. & I like birdwatching too ;)

I hope that you are feeling better soon.

Best wishes,
    Charleeh x
  • Settler
    Settler Member Posts: 51
    Options
    Oh my, I have done a lot of crying last week cause having a flare up, been using rescue remedy, and I think,it helps, don't want to go down ad yet, but know I will if I feel too bad, Charleeh I understand not being able to keep up with stuff, as all our lives we have basically done for ourselves and now asking for help really really upsets me :cry:
    Shirley
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello kitkat
    I am another that was on ADs for around 18 months...they got me over the worse time of my like mostly family matters on top of OA..they ready did help me..good luck and I hope that things improve very soon for you ...we are always here to talk to...(((())) xx
    Love
    Barbara