triple therapy

Options
ELAINE55555
ELAINE55555 Member Posts: 123
edited 11. Mar 2014, 17:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,
Anyone one else on here taking a combi of hydroxy, mtx and leflunomide? Ive been on hydoxy and mtx for 2 years now, and have just been prescribed leflunomide as well. On reading the leaflet, it says that these combinations are not advisable? I was going to start taking the leflunomide tonight but think i will phone the advice line tomorrow.
thanks

Comments

• ELAINE55555
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Bumped this up for any replies?
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    I tried this. It was the best combination for my RA, but I couldn't tolerate the Lef. Unfortunately I had really bad headaches with it, and room spinning dizzy spells, so had to stop it. Because it worked well for my RA, I tried it again recently, at a lower dose, but had the same side effects! So sadly had to conclude it just isn't for me.
    We're all different though, and you might get on well with it. I had no idea the three were a bad combination. Surely, if this were the case, Rheumy's wouldn't be prescribing them together :? Who knows?
    It wouldn't do any harm to phone the advice line. If nothing else, it could put your mind at ease.
    Good luck,
    Numpty
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hi Elaine,

Hydroxy made me faint but I had a 6 months of stability on the combo of MTX (20mg inj) and leflunomide 10mg. Leflunomide metabolises in the liver, like MTX, so you do have to ensure you get regular blood tests to keep an eye on things. They're fairly similar drugs, so if you found MTX helpful and had few side effects, hopefully, you'll tolerate leflunomide - or say says my rheum.

All the best of luck!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I`'ve tried a number of triple therapies including meth, leflunamide & sulphasalzine. My current triple is meth, humira & sulphasalzine. I know of one person who is doing OK on meth, leflunamide and hydroxy: I have lost count of the times I have read counter-indications on meds leaflets etc - I trust my rheumatologist more than the legal department of drugs companies. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ELAINE55555
    Options
    Thanks for your replies folks. I think I am just worried about taking the Lefl, and looking for excuses not to take it! I have had no big side effects with the metx or hydroxy, and I guess I am worried about rocking the boat. I know myself that my wrists, shoulders and some days my feet, are becoming more stiff and painful, so my current meds are not doing their job. I work in a busy shop/post office, so cant afford to be in pain all the time and certainly cannot afford to stop working! My employer is quite good and understands my physical condition. Oh well, down the hatch with it!