THR SCAR

Options
hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 19. Mar 2014, 09:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Morning
I know....stupid question since this is my second one :oops:
I cannot remember what I used on mine after the dressing came off.
The district nurse is less than useless....sometimes doesn't appear at all.....anyway eventually the dressing is off 6 weeks post op :shock:
Is it baby oil or a cream or does it matter?
Love
Hileena

Comments

• Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Hileena
    I've been using Bio oil, very expensive and I'm not convinced it is any better than my general purpose Vaseline Intensive Care lotion! I suppose a simple or baby product ould be best, gentle, avoid anything highly scented and anything that you have had open for a long time.
  • hileena111
    Options
    Thanks
    Sometimes I think the NHS must be in line with bio oil. :lol:
    I thought that was what I was told the first time....I do know that I didn't buy it because it was so expensive :shock:
    Just cant remember what I did use

Love
    Hileena
  • ouchpotato
    ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
    Options
    Hileena, the store that sells DRUGS that are SUPER sells their own brand of bio oil which ischeaper and just as good. Or they do a vitamin e oil which I use on everything and is only a couple of pounds. Might be worth looking at?

X
  • hileena111
    Options
    Thanks for that......I'll have a look the next time I'm in {which wont be long}
    Love
    Hileena
  • sailrib
    sailrib Member Posts: 327
    Options
    My friend who I met in hospital whiles having my triple fusion and her having her THR used bio oil and you can not see her scar at all, it's really mad. I didn't use anything and my scars are bright purple :lol:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    My scar is brilliant now Hileena..I started off with bio oil then went to baby oil much cheaper...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I used baby oil enriched with aloe Vera but almond oil could be equally good - it can be purchased from a chemist. Mr DD used Palmers summat or other on his appendix scar which is now barely visible. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    I didn't test it on scars but bio oil was useless with stretch marks and I had a midwife who had been in practice for quite some time. She said she would use olive oil in place of anything synthetic for marks and scars! Much cheaper and you can cook with it! Hope things are getting better for you xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for all your advice
    I did buy the cheaper bio oil from the other SUPER chemist :wink:
    Tried it tonight so we'll see how it works.

Love
    Hileena
  • ScottiePam
    ScottiePam Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Hello, just seen this. I used wheatgerm oil, then base cream with lavender and same oil. Aromatherapy is my thing, but not all things work for all people. Hope you are healing. :wink:
    Hag
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply
    I'm using bio oil but the cheaper make S/Drug!!!!
    Its doing the job....thanks.....The think about aromatherapy is that there is a lot of it that is contraindicated with my meds...eg
    epilepsy meds....so I steer clear {unless of course I went to see an aromatherapist}

Love
    Hileena
  • bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    Options
    I scalded myself very badly just after christmas and bought Bio oil from a chain of cheap shops called either hom* bargains or q*ality save it was much cheaper than in boots and it did a brilliant job. I thought I would be left with bad scaring, but you can hardly see anything at all now.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    . She said she would use olive oil in place of anything synthetic for marks and scars! Much cheaper and you can cook with it! x

Before or after :wink: Sorry, couldn't resist. I've left all my battle scars to nature. Mo-one sees them anyway.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Fionabee
    Options
    My knee replacement scar is quite tender, it is not a brilliant scar, wide in places and nicely together in others, very red, but know that is how new scars are. I'm not bothered about the appearance, it's just very itchy/stingy at times, I rub it hard through my tights. If you peer closely at it it looks quite inflamed & slightly dry despite lots of moisture?? Mostly used Bio Oil.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Please don't rub it hard, Fiona - the deeper healing will still be happening and you could disturb matters. I was told to lightly drum my fingers over the 'offending' bit when it was itching or feeling strange, it's to do with nerves re-growing and the best way to encourage them is to stimulate with the drumming rather than rubbing.

Any form of oil will work, I reckon that people are conned into thinking that expense means better results. Think of the money we spend on treating dead keratin (otherwise known as hair). The ad men know their stuff. :wink: DD
  • Fionabee
    Options
    Thanks for that DD, I shall drum from now on. I have a smallish numb area to the left of the knee cap, but was told at the hospital sometimes this can affect a much larger area over the shin & leg front.
    Fb
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Another tip which may be of use: after my two open synovectomies on the same knee I used to wear a loose tubigrip sleeve over the scar to stop my clothes brushing against it (always an odd sensation). After two or three months things were healed enough for me to stop wearing it. DD