Diclafenac V ibuprofen

Options
Settler
Settler Member Posts: 51
edited 15. Mar 2014, 06:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been on diclafenac for about a year couldn't do without it, but it has some bad press, so yesterday changed to ibuprofen , any one else feel the same
Shirley

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    It has had a lot of bad press.....but from what I can gather they are all bad for your heart....I'm not a doctor....so I would visit your GP and ask.
    I was on diclofenic and mine changed me onto naproxen
    Don't forget the stomach protector as well.!!!!! {no matter what anti inflammatory you take}
    I do think you need to chat this over with the GP

Love
    Hileena
  • Tubby
    Tubby Member Posts: 177
    Options
    I was on diclofenac for over a year but due to the 'bad press' I was moved on to naproxen. I really didn't get on with naproxen, feeling sick and general feeling of yeukiness so I returned to the GP. He said that diclofenac had had the bad press but that was only because they hadn't done a long term study on naproxen which had actually been on the market longer and was just as bad, they just hadn't proved it yet! He said that they were all as bad as each other so if I was happier on diclofenac then I should stay on it as the side effects were much the same. Ibroprofen is also pretty shocking on the stomach and nowhere near as good as diclofenac or naproxen. Whatever, keep taking the stomach protectors.
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    I take a drug called Arcoxia, that also has some very bad press about all sorts of side effects. It works for me and is the only anti inflammatory which doesn't actually need any sort of stomach protector for long term use.

I think that all of these drugs have their bad and good sides, id just stick to what works for you and try not to worry what you see online/in the news.
  • Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    Options
    I took Diclofenac for several yrs on the trot, I thought it was terrific, I felt like a new woman. I wonder when you stopped taking it? I know whenever I stopped, it was always around 4 or 5 days before I "knew" I'd stopped taking it, it seemed to hang around in your system for a while.
    Where we live one of the health trusts will no longer prescribe it.
    For me, Ibuproven would not have offered enough relief.
    I don't think any of the non steroidal anti inflams are designed for long term use, mainly to get over a flare up. But what do you do when its a constant & not just a bad patch???
  • Sezeelson
    Sezeelson Member Posts: 133
    Options
    As already mentioned, strong pain dullers are all as bad as each other really. Talking it through with your GP might help you make a decision but ultimately you should take what works for you.

I didn't get on with Diclofenac, just didn't take the edge of for me. I didn't get on with naproxen either, it made me extremely lethargic and very nauseous.
  • krisbe
    krisbe Member Posts: 95
    Options
    The only pain killer which cured my arthritis pain was diclophenic. My doctor wouldn't prescribe it as he said it causes heart attacks and strokes and happens more often than you might think.

If I was going somewhere for the day where I would be walking a lot ie a London day trip, then I would buy a pack for that only.

None of the other naproxen, codeine ones worked so I didn't see the point in taking tablets that have absolutely no effect whatsoever. It funny because my father found that co-didramol (or however you spell it) helped his pain massively. Because of this the only pain killer I took was paracetamol and not that often as that doesn't work either.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I was moved from naproxen (useless) to diclofenac (effective). I took three per day immediately after breaking my arm but have now reduced to one as-and-when. I care not about the increased risk of heart attack, stroke, turning green, growing an extra head or whatever; all meds come with risks but surely the biggest risk of all is life itself. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben