Feeling Dismissed

Options
AnnieV
AnnieV Member Posts: 4
I was taken off my Naproxen Sodium and ASA after being scoped and diagnosed with bleeding ulcers and erosive gastritis. I saw my rheumatologist yesterday. I had not seen him since last summer. I updated him re: my scope and ulcers diagnosis and also a fall I suffered all in February. I told him I was having great difficulty with pain and fatigue, have difficulty dressing,often have to have my husband help with my socks. Also have difficulty sleeping due to hip pain.I told him I hurt so badly I really didn't want to partake in anything. My GP put me on Tramadol which did nothing,then changed to Hydrocodone. I told him I didn't want to resort to just poping pain pills. He pretty much brushed me aside,said my GI dr. would likely be upset if he started me on Celebrex before my follow-up scope in 12 weeks,he gave me a script for hydrocodone,drew blood and said see you in 3 months and if my ulcers are healed will likely start me on Celebrex then (after my follow-up scope).. He seemed more interested in my Sjgorens status,how are my dry eyes and dry mouth,than my pain and ulcers issue. I came away feeling very dismissed and let down. I asked him about plaquenil or a pain patch and he wanted to know where I got my idea to ask about that.
I am 61yo have osteoarthritis,lupus and Sjgorens. I really did not care for his treatment yesterday and have been a bit irritated since. Do you feel this is a reasonable approach? I want to be fair with my doctor...I know there is no magic bullet.

Thank you.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It must be very difficult for you right now. I felt I had to respond but I'm only a forum member not one of the Helpline team.

You ask if your rheumatologist's was a reasonable approach. I think it probably was though his beds8de manner might leave something to be desired. He is there to treat your Sjoegrens, not the OA which is your GP's department. I have RA and OA and the only time my rheumatologist's dealt with the OA was when referring me to an orthopaedic surgeon.

You are currently caught between a rock and a hard place. The GI problems must take precedence over the pain but it's not easy. NSAIDS did so much damage to my stomach I was told I could never have any again.

Has your GP suggested physio or a Pain Clinic? I've not tried the latter but couldn't cope without my daily exercises. As for your husband having to help you dress, have a look in any disability aids shop (including online). There's a wealth of dressing aids and I rely totally on them for my imdependence. My sock aid is indispensable.

I hope your GI stuff can be sorted and quickly. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • AnnieV
    Options
    Thank you,stickywicket,that helped. I truly didn't realize the OA came under my GP care. I do have a lot to learn!
    Will check into those aides. Socks are a real challenge!

Again, thank you for taking the time to send some advice and education as well as encouragement. All very much appreciated.

Anne
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    If you have a local shop ask ig you can try befo3e buying with the sock aids. There are several different types. I can't manage at all without mine but can't use some types at all. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,495
    Options
    Hi AnnieV
    It sounds as if you’re going through a tough time and I’m sorry to hear that you are experiencing pain and fatigue. Together with this which is enough to contend with, you felt dismissed and let down by your doctor. It can be so hard to deal with these different emotions, when ideally we want to feel confident and safe with our doctors.
    I have read stickywicket responses to you and they really seem most helpful, and leave little that I can add.

We are not medically trained on the Helplines and are unable to give individual medical advice. However you are most welcome to give us a call on the Helplines: 0808 800 4050 (Monday-Friday 10am-4pm) here we can talk informally and in confidence. Sometimes a listening, non-judgemental ear can be helpful.

The link below may be of interest and talks about how to get the best out of GP appointments:
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Forhealthprofessionals/Usefulresources/main_content/AN134_PRESCRIPTIONFORSUCCESS.pdf

You might like to post on our ‘living with arthritis’ forum, here you may get more responses. http://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=8
    AnnieV please give us a call if we can be of help.

Best wishes
    Lynda
  • AnnieV
    Options
    Thank you....I appreciate the advice and response.