restless legs

Options
bridesmum
bridesmum Member Posts: 181
edited 20. Mar 2014, 06:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm having a horrible time at the moment with restless legs. Until I started with it I thought it must be a minor annoyance, how wrong I was! The creeping, crawling feeling is vile and makes me feel almost sick. I almost feel mad when it's going on :? My legs are allover the bed like a deranged irish dancer. Does anyone have any suggestions please?
Cheers, Debx

Comments

• mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Yes chainsaw!, but seriously I take Nortriptyline and I get flutters on my thighs were my mobile sits in my pocket its so noticeable I've been known to stop the car to see who's calling me, it doesn't do it all the time though?.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Deb

RLS is vile isn't it? I am sorry you have this too. I would suggest that you take a look at:

http://www.rls-uk.org/ the UK charity

and

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=healthunlocked+RLS&spell=1

which is the RLS forum.

I am not sure what meds you are on but some can really aggravate RLS.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi Deb;

I have RLS. It's a loathsome thing! It's made my life pretty unbearable at times.

I went on Gabapentin when it was very bad and have stayed on it. It's pretty well controlled now with this drug unless I'm on my feet too much, or get very cold. I have Raynaud's and an attack seems to aggravate the RLS too. It was not a nice drug to get used to but I was very desperate and stuck with it through the side-effects.

There are others too, like pregabilin(sp?) so you may want to talk to your GP or rheum. Take care.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Debs all I know about this is my brother had it and he was on gout meds..he was prescribed something, but sorry for the life of me I cant remember the name..hope you can get some help soon..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Settler
    Settler Member Posts: 51
    Options
    I have suffered this since a child, have tried all sorts of cures, second best was soap in my bed, google it, but best was I added magnesium tablets to my diet, 6 weeks now and only I would say maybe 2 half hours in total of annoyance , brilliant, I used to be all over the place with it, was awful really awful, now really would say cured
    Shirley
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    If magnesium is the answer why not google 'magnesium rich foods'? I did and it read like the basis of a good diet :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    edited 16. Mar 2014, 06:54
    Options
    http://www.rls-uk.org/treatment/4567435170

There are unfortunately no known cures for RLS but lifestyle changes and medications which can make your RLS easier to manage.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    This is a link to frequently asked questions about RLS including certain medicines that can make RLS worse:

http://www.rls-uk.org/faqs/4568109901

Elna x

• sallyann14
    sallyann14 Member Posts: 25
    Options
    oh yes, i too get this, drives me CRAZY !! comes on around 7pm or during the day if i am totally knackered. I have been on Quinnine Sulphate for 2 years because of this and it really helps, you do have to be regular with taking them, regardless of whether the legs are bouncing around or not !! But be warned, the following morning it tastes like you have been sucking on a garden gate all night, blurggghh....the metal taste is not very pleasant. Hope this helps. Sally.xxx
  • bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    Options
    Oh Sally, you really made me laugh envisioning myself sucking my garden gate :lol: I suppose with my dry mouth from my amitryptiline tablets it will be even better! Debx
  • Settler
    Settler Member Posts: 51
    Options
    Sallann have you tried extra iron, magnesium or the soap in the bed google them , it's the magnesium that has finally got mine under control
    Shirley
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    I don't know anything about this, what a terrible illness it must be awful for you best of luck
    colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE