Diagnosed

nicole
nicole Member Posts: 16
edited 26. Apr 2014, 05:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
So the results are in and I'm feeling a little down.
All bloods are clear and I am negative for HLAB27 so the diagnosis is that I have Osteoarthritis of the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine, Sacrum and Coccyx, both hips (but the left hip doesn't hurt so far) both hands, all finger and thumb joints and mid foot joints. The consultant was very lovely but looked at me and said that I am just extremely unlucky......there is nothing that he can do for me and is referring me back to my GP.
He dictated a letter into a recording device to go to my GP saying that I should take naproxen for 6 months then happened to mention that I also have ovarian cysts which appeared on the MRI, but hastened to add that they are nothing to worry about.
He has recommended Pilates and swimming but don't overdo anything, don't exercise through joint pain, I find that quite amusing as all the joints are always painful whether exercising or not.
Hey ho - life goes on....
Thanks to you all for your previous help and advice

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello nicole This is very similar to my diagnosis..but mine was done in sections over 3 years..my question was why does oa spread so quickly, its rotten when you have so many joints that are painful, have you been referred to a pain clinic at all...I do hope you can get some relife soon....x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I'm not surprised you are feeling down - anyone would. It is difficult when everything hurts all the time but you will learn to tell the difference between when enough has been done or things are being overdone.

Personally I wouldn't ignore the cysts - I take it this consultant was not a gynae so give yourself a little time and then have them checked. I hope the naproxen helps (as with all meds some find it wonderful whilst others gain nothing) but ensure you also have a stomach protector med - that is essential. Don't be afraid to use pain relief, it has a role to play and it can improve the quality of life albeit in a small way. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    Hi Nicole, sorry to hear your diagnosis, it's rubbish isn't it? My OA has only been seen by x ray I really would like to have an mri scan to see if all the places I hurt are also OA :lol:
    Take care, love Debx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Oh Nicole, I'm sorry your results where so bad, no matter how you sugar coat it, it's a smack in the face! You will have to learn how to listen to your body, when your joints scream to stop and not push things. It's a learning curve and eventually you will learn when to say stop. Glad you have such a positive frame of mind, it helps!
  • fortuna
    fortuna Member Posts: 149
    Perhaps someone more knowledgable than me can explain how OA which is caused by wear and tear can appear so quickly in so many joints. And often in people who are fairly young.
    I do sympathise Nichole and hope you can find good pain relief and perhaps a pain clinic can help.
    Fortuna x
  • fortuna
    fortuna Member Posts: 149
    Perhaps someone more knowledgable than me can explain how OA which is caused by wear and tear can appear so quickly in so many joints. And often in people who are fairly young.
    I do sympathise Nichole and hope you can find good pain relief and perhaps a pain clinic can help.
    Fortuna x
  • Nikkijamie
    Nikkijamie Member Posts: 34
    Hi
    I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis too.

I have in the past 8 months ish been diagnosed with OA in my hips and now in my thumb joints( although done without an X-ray which I find really strange but hey ho). It seems to be spreading really quickly and I don't know why so if anyone does know I'm really curious.

Being only 32 the future feels really bleak if it continues to progress at this rate.

Good luck all

Nikki