Hello Beatrice, good-bye house arrest.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 29. Mar 2014, 11:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
So, I've driven Beatrice for the first time in nearly two months. Needless to say it was far worse on the knees and ankles than the broken-but-nearly-mended humerus. :roll: This afternoon will be devoted to ensuring the sofa doesn't wander round the sitting room whilst joints recover. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well you're a lucky bunny DD, I've not been able to drive for 11 years and now someone else has the pleasure of my Karmann Ghia, special edition volkswagen GTI convertible, 1983 :lol: Happy to see that it's still extant, :lol:

On a more serious note I had to give up driving because of BPPV and even though that nuisance of a problem can be intermittant (one has to be free of it for 1 year before a doc will give the all clear, otherwise no insurance) I certainly think it's a danger to others to drive with impaired mobility such as total screwmatics, never mind how well adapted the car.

Cherry x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh cherrybim, I apologise :oops: I failed to remember that what is semi-good news for one is a reminder for another about a further loss. I apologise. :oops: That must have been some motor - Mr DD is currently driving a Golf but will soon be losing it (it's a company car). DD
  • cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    Options
    Oh lordy DD, I'm just being a bos taurus at the moment, no need to apologise :lol:

I'm seeing the Rheumy nurse on Monday and I'll have to admit to her that the tears of pain don't seem to be near a dam to drop them into, be it morning noon or night :oops:

When I was 34 (the age at which the RA first began) I could cope and 'climb every mountain' but now I'm 69 I don't seem to have that indomitable spirit any more.

However it's always got to be 'upwards and onwards hasn't it )

I'm not the slightest bit jealous of you :roll: (Oh dear, that's a lie and it was always drummed into me never to tell one :oops: )

Cherryx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    DD good luck with the sofa it is well earned..at least you have given it go..hopefully next time will be easier..or the time after... :)
    Good luck at the rheumy cheerybim..hope they can help.
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    So there we have it, the forum quandary in a nutshell. Post good-ish news and someone will be upset because, however minor the triumph to the poster, said news to others may sting. What is the answer? I may have it: we need two forums, OAC and PAC.

OAC = Optimistic Arthritis Care. (The meds work and all is well.)

PAC = Pessimistic Arthritis Care. (Been there, swallowed and injected that and got nowhere but don't tell anyone.)

DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Woo hoo! Welcome back Beatrice. You have served your time 'in prison', DD, and thoroughly deserve to benefit from your utterly boring but dedicated rest and exercise regime.

No, just the one forum, please. We need more success stories not fewer.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words, Sticky, it was a dull time but I am glad I did what I did because I have regained close to the full-range of movement (no doubt OA will now set in and spoil that :wink: ).

It's a tricky balance, isn't it? The majority of us on here are here because things aren't as tickety-boo as they could be. Those who are achieving success don't need to look in because they're out there getting on with things - we creak along in their wake. :lol: DD
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I'm on the fence with this topic as I can't drive and didn't learn to drive after a nasty car crash put me off! Maybe you need to do short journeys to get you back in the swing of things. Round the block size journeys. I agree with Sticky we only need one forum and try and brighten people who are not so happy's day up. It's better when we have success stories. Your days out in Beatrice will get easier every time. :)
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Not driven for many years but that is my choice. If I lived somewhere other than the 'Burbs' I probably would start again.

Enjoy your freedom.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    I'd like to just shout ......

CONGRATULATIONS DD

U deserve it, I know how much uve struggled & suffered despite trying, & mostly succeeding, to stay as cheerful as possible!! Well done, I hope it's easier on you next time tho.

((((Hugs))))

Xxx xxX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Well done DD.....I bet you are a happy little bunny now
    I haven't driven my poor little baby for 8 weeks and I was looking at her earlier and thinking I might try a very short run {round the block sort of thing} tomorrow :shock:
    I haven't been told I cant drive but nor have I been told I can because I didn't ask :lol:
    Its only 6 weeks post op that you cant drive....OK so I've got a fracture in that hip but that's my clutch foot :? I just want a short drive...probably in the same gear all the time :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I drove her yesterday, we went out for lunch and then furniture shopping - or rather viewing with small domestics about style, colour, size etc. We came home with nothing but a plethora of ideas. We need a small table for the kitchen, we have one but he doesn't like it (it's attached to one end of the island) whereas I do. He wants a rectangular one in front of the French doors whereas I don't because that will block the doors. The drive home was hell after doing too much walking and standing still. :(

Hileena? I expect you know what I am going to type . . . . . I don't think that's a plan. I was unable to drive with a fractured upper left arm - but with a fractured hip? Nuh-uh. It's not worth the risk, my lovely. ((())) DD
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,924
    Options
    Hello DD
    I hope everything runs smoothly for you now you've had enough problems to cope with.
    I only have my scoota that is fast enough for me it goes 8 mph.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Joan 'Speedy Gonzales' dachshund indeed! :lol:

Debbie, I sincerely apologise :oops: for not acknowledging your very kind words. Thank you, they were very cheering to read but my attention got diverted elsewhere. DD
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi DD
    You were brave driving as far as that .....well seems a long distance. :wink:
    Hope you are taking it easy today after all that.
    I knew what you were going to say before I read any further :lol: I know you :lol:
    All I did was this morning got in and played with the clutch and gears...Peters car was behind me so couldn't go anywhere. I just wanted to see how it felt. It was OK
    So we came home this afternoon and Peter parked his car in another place and I reversed mine out. Just drove to the village, through the Co-Op car park and back home. About 10 mins all in all. I'm happy now.
    I have a doc appointment in the morning {B.P.} I'm going to drive there rather than ask Peter to take me. {about 5 mins there} goodness knows how long a wait in the waiting room and then home. :)
    Take care
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I knew you would do it. :wink: I should have saved my breath to cool my porridge. :lol: DD
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    As long as they had the the desired affect that's all that mattered to me :wink:

Thank you DD.

((((Hugs))))

Xxx xxX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Bea has been keyed along her entire nearside length. :( DD
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Their parents can't be married. Mig
  • hileena111
    Options
    Oh DD
    That's awful.......I remember when one of mine {not loved as much as Bea or my car} got keyed when I was out working....its horrible.
    Was it outside the house or was it parked somewhere?
    Love
    Hileena
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    :( how disappointing.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I don't know when it was done, I only spotted it yesterday after returning home but it could have been there for some time - she's a tad grubby at the moment. :wink: She is a tall car and the scratch runs just above the wheel arches - an adult would have to crouch to do it so my thinking is it was a child, more likely of the male variety but in this day and age who can tell?

I could not scratch or damage anyone's car for the 'fun' of it. It was routine at our old house where cars were parked on the road outside the terrace, most Sunday mornings there would be scratches or a number of wing mirrors kicked off. DD
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    DD,
    Trouble is people years ago were brought up to respect others' property. That doesn't seem to be in any way, shape or form, relevant nowaways.

Now - I'm showing that I'm not far off 49! Sorry folks. Don't mean to 'preach'.

I get very annoyed that I try to take care of my possessions, and respect others' possessions. You leave your car in what you believe is a safe place and come back to find that some 'kind' individual has very thoughtfully (not!) left their calling card.

I hope you can find someone local to you who can polish the scratch out. It may be worth a phone call or two but of course, it's yet something else you have to deal with on top of everything else.

Look after yourself,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!