Connective Tissue Disorders

Options
19smp59
19smp59 Member Posts: 105
edited 24. Mar 2014, 18:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
I know from reading the forum that quite a lot of you suffer with Connective Tissue Disorders and I just wanted to ask a bit of advice. I'm not expecting anyone to give a diagnosis but I'm a bit confused and wonder whether I really need to see my GP.

About 25 years ago I was diagnosed with Hypermobility Syndrome and over the course of the last 25 years I have developed Osteoarthritis in a lot of my joints. Approximately three years ago I started to suffer with terrible fatigue, ie staying in bed all day and really struggling to get up, struggling with work etc. I saw my GP and it turned out I was quite severely anaemic, which was put down to heavy periods and I was prescribed a course of Iron. Over the course of the next few months I did start to feel a 'little' better but the fatigue has carried on and I am still struck with odd days when I can't get out of bed. I can wake in the morning feeling like I can't move my arms and pain in fingers, feet and knees is quite bad.

About a year ago whilst at the dentist she commented on how dry my mouth was but at the time I thought nothing of it as it was giving me no problems and put it down to taking Tramadol. Over the last few months my dry mouth as got really troublesome and at a visit to my dentist she started to ask if I had any eye problems. I told her that for the last few years my eyes were quite itchy during the day and I always woke up with them being a bit 'crusty'. She started to mention Connective Tissue Disease and advised me to get my eyes checked and then to see my GP.

I had an appointment on Friday with the Optician and I was diagnosed as having 'dry eyes'. He said that my eyes dry out in 5 seconds which he said is quite poor.

I have read that these problems can be part of the Menopause and I'm wondering if this is the cause but then a part of me does think that over the past four or five years 'something else' has been going on. Another thing I have noticed that when I go into a cold room or every morning in my bathroom my left hand will go quite purple, or part of my fingers will be purple and part white. I have looked at pictures of Reynauds on the internet and a lot of the pictures look far worse than mine do.

So, I am in two minds, whether to go to my GP or to 'just get on with it', as they say. I feel that I have been to my GP so much recently, as I've just been diagnosed with Mortons Neuroma in both feet, my OA has been particularly bad recently and I worry that he will think 'oh god, here she is again'!

Sorry for the long, rambling post, any advice would be gratefully received.

Suzanne

Comments

• ouchpotato
    ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Suzanne
    You should go back to your gp and explain your symptoms. It sounds very much like sjogrens syndrome, from my limited knowledge. Of course I'm no gp. But I was checked for this so I did some research on it. Sjogrens causes dry eyes, dry mouth, and also can cause dryness which would normally be put down to the menopause (I'm trying to be delicate here! )
    In short it causes the moisture producing glands to stop working.
    The fact that your dentist advised you to go makes it easier for you...just tell your gp that.

Good luck!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Suzanne
    I would certianly go back to your GPs armed with the info you have,I have leared over the years to tell my GP what I think might be going on, he dosen't seem to be bother about me googling things I do think it help him in a way...it stop him having to go through everything..if you know what I mean
    You are not rambling....thats my job.. :o you put connective tissue in the search at the top of the forum and see what comes up..there are two serach panels..try them both...good luckand I hope you get some answers very soon
    I don't think all this is down to the menopause,although its quite a while since I went through that x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    GP for you I reckon - one of the troubles we all face is that we become so used to things being grotty we tend to steam on when we shouldn't. You're not going to him to be a nuisance, you're going because you are unwell and it's his job to 'make you better' (that's in inverted commas because GPs can't heal the likes of us :wink: ) I went through the menopause a few years ago now and had no troubles of the sort that you have described so make that appointment and let us know the outcome, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • 19smp59
    19smp59 Member Posts: 105
    Options
    Thank you all for your helpful replies and I have today made an appointment with my GP. My dentist mentioned Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus and Sjorgens. I know it's not Rheumatoid, my joints are very stiff in the morning etc but not for over 30 minutes and I've had no rash so don't think it's Lupus.

I shall let you know what she says, but thanks again, you are all so lovely, friendly and helpful on here x

Suzanne
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    With the best will in the world your dentist is not a rheumatologist - some with RA can be stiff all day, officially I have psoriatic arthritis (but with a marked absence of psoriasis compared to some, just a few small patches here and there) and as for the Sjogrens, well, who knows? Get thee to a rheumatologist (via your GP) but don't expect an instant diagnosis - these things can take time. Please let us know how you get on and I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben