Any suggestions for a good Matress

Options
Meeee
Meeee Member Posts: 19
edited 29. Mar 2014, 07:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I have been to the rheumatologist recently and he mentioned that getting a better mattress may help with my back / neck pain. I was thinking about getting a memory foam type and these seem to be quite comfortable. Has anyone tried these and if so would you have any recommendations, I don't have masses of spare money so would be looking for a single mattress well under £200.

Thanks
Tis Meeee

Comments

• Tinky
    Tinky Member Posts: 34
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi..

I have PsA in my lower back and all over and two weeks ago we got
    a 4" memory foam topper.....well all I can say is they are brilliant. But be aware
    you wont need an electric blanket as the foam produces so much heat from
    your body you don't need one.
    We got ours from the internet... and not a lot of money either, £60 for a double.

Hope you find one,

Regards
    Tinks.
  • Meeee
    Options
    Tinky wrote:
    Hi..

a 4" memory foam topper.....well all I can say is they are brilliant. But be aware
    We got ours from the internet... and not a lot of money either, £60 for a double.

Hope you find one,

Regards
    Tinks.

thanks for the info, I did debate a topper, can you tell me which website you got it from so I could have a look?

thanks

Meeee
    Tis Meeee
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    It is a memory foam topper I use and have no complaints, if you put memory foam mattress into search at the top of the page you will find a lot of posts with information................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Tinky
    Tinky Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Meeee wrote:
    Tinky wrote:
    Hi..

Hope you find one,

Regards
    Tinks.

thanks for the info, I did debate a topper, can you tell me which website you got it from so I could have a look?

thanks

Meeee

Hi, it was on the best website for auctions, beginning with e and ending with y.
    not sure whether I can say it..... :)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    What suits one may not suit another. I've slept on memory foam and a) melted with heat and b) was kept awake thanks to other physical discomfort. If your budget is limited (and let's face it, whose isn't?) then go for a topper first, that will be a cheaper way to find things out. E**y is OK, I'm an A****n girl meself! :wink: Buy the best you can afford - cheaper ones are more likely to be not good enough quality for our creaky bodies. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    I use a 3" memory foam topper- tried a new mattress with a memory foam layer but it's too hard and I can't get comfy on it-so then added a topper- from the A..... website- it's fine, but DD's right about the heat retention-I often end up on top of the quilt like a beached whale :oops: .

I wonder if you know anyone with a mattress topper that would let you test it before you buy?

Deb x
  • scribbler
    scribbler Member Posts: 54
    Options
    We got a new bed - the full thing, not just the mattress about a year ago. It's an electric adjustable bed where you can raise the head and/or the foot end. After a few tries I rarely use this facility, but it's nice to know it's there if I'm ever stuck in bed for any length of time.
    It's got memory foam and I find it very good.
    I was surprised to find that these beds were zero rated for VAT if you had a medical condition such as arthritis, The salesman volunteered this info, we didn't think about it. The result is that we now have two single beds which link together to form a double. My husband's had VAT charged, mine didn't. It might be worth enquiring about the VAT situation when you get your mattress. As I remember there was a form to fill in but they didn't require a doctor's certificate or anything.
    Hope you find a comfortable mattress. It's an important purchase, think how much time you spend on it.
    :)
  • Mormodook
    Mormodook Member Posts: 130
    Options
    I bought a memory foam mattress topper last year and I've not looked back ! It's just great ! I got it in a closing down sale of a local bed store so it was quite cheap but a good brand. It really has made a difference to me .
  • Meeee
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the info, I might try a topper with a coolmax cover to see if it is any good.
    Tis Meeee
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Get the best mattress you can afford. I often have to sleep with my Son to get him to sleep. We bought him the cheapest double mattress from JL*wis and It is torture as I always wake up in lots of pain and can't wait to hobble off back to my own bed. I notice the difference immediately.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I trialled many, many mattresses and ended up with a regular mattress with a top layer that was memory foam. It was still comfy but slightly less comfy. Oddly enough, I actually find the full memory foam ones not as comfortable but it really is personal preference. I also have a mattress topper on top of this and it is so soft but firm and lovely. I love my bed. :lol:

May I also recommend a proper memory foam pillow. It changed my life in terms of neck pain and tension headaches, as in I do not get them anymore!
  • krisbe
    krisbe Member Posts: 95
    Options
    I used to get dreadful lower back pain and was always told a firm mattress was the answer. However this didnt work for me and I invested in a memory foam mattress which cost about £400 after sleeping up my mums on her memory foam mattress and finding it the best nights sleep I have ever had. I treated myself and it was the best thing I ever did as it moulds to your shape and relieved me of the pain I was getting. They do tend to be warm though.
  • Settler
    Settler Member Posts: 51
    Options
    PLEASE READ UP ON THE HAZARDS of memory foam , it is bad, I and my daughter and son in maw, suffered bad, sinus trouble, head aches and lots more, go for any thing other than that
    Shirley
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Settler wrote:
    PLEASE READ UP ON THE HAZARDS of memory foam , it is bad, I and my daughter and son in maw, suffered bad, sinus trouble, head aches and lots more, go for any thing other than that

I did try to read up on it because I can't imagine life without my memory foam topped mattress and memory foam shaped pillow. I never sleep as well on any other kind of mattress and I take my pillow everywhere with me as my neck has hardly any movement and I get migraine type headaches without one.

I could only find anecdotal stuff saying it was bad except for small children. It can give off a smell at first but, if left for 48 hours without bedding, that goes.

I 'd just like to point out though that a topper will be no good on an old mattress. If your mattress is more than 10 years old you should get a new one anywqy.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Sorry, may I clarify that. They are not recommended for small children but, apart from that, the only adverse reports I could find were anecdotal.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • krisbe
    krisbe Member Posts: 95
    Options
    Settler wrote:

I have had my memory foam mattress for about 9 years now and have had no trouble at all with off gassing - no headaches, nausea or anything else. It is a good make Myers and is a de-luxe mattress. You get what you pay for. I have seen cheap memory foam ones for about £200 but I would not buy one of these. You spend half your life in bed and therefore should buy the best you can afford. A lot of the cheaper mattresses are probably made in china just like a lot of the leather settees which people were having problems with. They were getting rashes all over them due to the fungicides used on the leather.
  • Pippa
    Pippa Member Posts: 23
    Options
    I've got a hypnos mattress. It's the best I've had. Worth trying this one too I think!
  • elsa56
    elsa56 Member Posts: 98
    Options
    I bought a new bed about 2 years ago, silentnight matress medium support. When I first got it I found it comfortable and firm enough for my liking.
    After having my THR I found it very uncomfortable and too firm for me wich didn't help as I couldn't sleep.
    I purchased a feather bed matress topper fron QVC it's a Northern nights one and that has done the trick. The good thing with it is if you don't get on with it you can send it back within the first month and get your money back. This is alot cheaper than getting a new matress.
    Hope that helps
    xx
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I was able to get a very excellent pocket coil mattress.

I could not afford to buy one new but purchased a showroom demo one at a hugely discounted price. The company gave me a disability discount too.

It has a few frayed spots but it is the most comfortable bed I have ever had and has made a big difference in sleep quality. The old one was torture.

It might be worth asking for discounted demo models?
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    My mattress is 10 years old but I'm loathe to change it as it is still doing the job. I had a close look at it and it has a built in extra layer sitting on top of the main mattress. I'm sure that makes all the difference.

elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein