Early retirement? Anyone?

Lubs
Lubs Member Posts: 155
Hi,

I have been off sick for over two months and the GP has signed me off for a further 3 months.

My condition has deteriorated and the infliximab is not work as well as it was a few years ago. They have tried all the other anti-TNF treatments and the consultant has told me that she will keep me in mind for a new drug. I suffer from PsA, spondylitis and fibromyalgia.

I was honest with the consultants and GP and told then how difficult I am finding teaching at the moment. I just do not have the energy to plan my lessons at home, to keep children in after school detentions, to mark homework or tests by deadlines etc. I've even started to cry in the classroom. This is not the first time. I need to take early ill health retirement.

All agreed with me and said they will support me. However, how do you apply for ill health retirement? Has anyone done it? I would be grateful if you could let me know how you did it.

Thanks
Lubs

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I struggled on to 55 then took a reduced pension last Easter, it was so right and has done me so much good. Like you I was so weary, in constant pain and tearful so I send you hugs and understanding. I started by asking the NUT for advice and they were great, talked me through the process . Then I talked very honestly to my head teacher who was amazingly understanding a d put me in touch with the appropriate person in human resources, they in turn advised on getting in touch with teachers pensions. It was a bit long winded but straight forward. Have you checked the teachers pension website for information or maybe your union website? My consultant would have supported I'll health retirement but because I had plodded on with little absence the pensions authority wouldn't play.
    Hope you can get it sorted and retrieve some better quality of life.

Deb xx
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Hi are you in a union?, if so do you have a rep in the school or one for the region your in?, the thing is ill health retirement is different for everyone who tread the path, mine took over 4 years and a lot of arguments and bad treatment by line managers but in the end I got it, that said the normal route is through the disciplinary route, I went from level one informal right though to level 4 final warning, in the end the company OC health Doctor signed me off but if he hadn't I'd have been sacked under the "capability" rules, I learned quickly "capability" was a sneaky little catch all they can use against you, the bottom line is it means if you ill they can sack you for breaking your terms of employment, this clause is used for anyone who's late for work, sick from drinking or just lazy it makes no difference if you have a genuine reason if they want they can use it to winkle you out, that said it sounds like your lot are OK mine were far from it sadly.
    Do you have a staff handbook?, and do you have any access to the company policies regarding ill health and early retirement, there should be something written down, ours was on line, also whats your HR manager like, mine was called the ice queen, she was a right nasty psychopath I still have nightmares about it all thanks to her!!. :shock:
  • Lubs
    Hi mellman01,

I just received a letter yesterday informing me that they are not giving me ill health retirement, it took the Teachers' Pensions all of 1 day to come to that decision. :(
    They acknowledged that I'm seriously unwell, with what my GP provided, but they also said in the same paragraph that he did not give a long term prognosis or any supporting material from my consultant.
    My consultant refused to fill in the form, or write a letter, she told me the GP does this not her! But the Teachers' Pensions are now requesting something from her!
    I'm really just stuck in the middle. The school have been helpful. OH do not want to know, but the School have phoned TP and asked what they need, and then phoned OH and sent them my GP notes, so that OH can insist on TP looking at retirement.
    They want me to teach to the good old age of 60! I'm a science teacher, who uses a walking aid and has splints for both hands. This school year a student turned on a few gas taps, I couldn't run to the front of the room fast enough to turn it off from the cut off valve! It was ridiculous, but the student was still back in my class after a lesson out, I had to show my lesson plan, why I was at the end of the room etc. there is no hope for me in this profession!
    I've even cried in class because of the students, or in one case a senior teacher. No one in TP looks at your well being they just want to safe money!
    As for the union, I'm in one, but the school has no rep. So I have to send everything to the main office. They are good in giving advice, but very slow.
    Thank you for your advice, and sorry for the long post! :shock:
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I have been through the long drawn out procedure for early retirement and before that the lead in to loss of physical prowess, oh if only I had noticed it earlier.

Whatever you do get professional representation, the affects of what happens lasts a very long time so get it right at the start. Retirement means a gradual diminution of income and gradual lost of activities and the company of those of the same age as yourself as you fall behind; slowly and inexorably the process of arther stops normality.

Quite a dramatic statement I know, its not until you've been retired for a while can you sit back and consider whats happened, so get some help right from the start.
  • Lubs
    Hi Airwave,

I do have the union representing me. I'm just really stressed out that it's affecting my health. I have a rash on my hands and sores on my lips which are not healing. I'm just tired every day, I wake up for a few hours and then I need to sleep until 11am. How can I go back to teaching?
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Lub's check your PM's OK.

Mell