Sulfasalazine & bruising

Options
tinydancer
tinydancer Member Posts: 74
edited 2. Apr 2014, 03:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,

I've been on sulfa for about 5 years but recently I've noticed I just need to knock against something and I bruise really easily. This is really concerning me. I've called to try speak to my rheumy or the rheumy nurse but no-one available. I've made an appointment with my GP just to put my mind at rest.

Anyone else suffer from this?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Yes, I have done for years. When I began sulph in 2002 I was covered in bruises but only from the waist down (odd in itself). They cleared after about six - eight weeks but ever since even just a gentle tap (or no tap at all) results in the blues. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tinydancer
    Options
    Mine are only from waist down too.

Is this normal then?
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I have no idea! It seemed odd to me all those years ago but I have done a bruise count for tonight: two on my left leg and three on my right, all between the knee and thigh - isn't that weird? :? I was severely bruised after breaking my upper left humerus (and I mean severely) but the fracture clinic staff told me that that was par for the course after such a break. I must admit that because they don't hurt I don't worry about them but when they do perturb me I apply witch hazel liquid or gel and that helps to ease matters. DD
  • tinydancer
    Options
    I've been to see my GP, he want me to get blood clotting test done to make sure my platelets aren't low. I'm worried now.....
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    I wonder whether you're having regular blood tests because you take DMARDs? These should show if your platelet count is low......I have monthly bloods done, and have in the past been advised to leave off the drugs for a week or two to allow the platelets to build up again.

Having said that I do bruise easily too, and take sulfasalazine in combination with plaquinel and methotrexate.

Hope you get the answers you need quickly.

Deb x
  • tinydancer
    Options
    Last time I had bloods checked was 2.5 months ago and everything was fine. I've never had blood clotting one done however. GP seemed shocked that rheumatologist only wants them checked every 6 months.
    I also take hydroxychloriquine & naproxen too.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    When I first began sulph I was on fortnightly bloods - it was the only arthritis drug I was taking then and they stayed fortnightly for years. What a drag. DD