Diet starts today!!!!

Options
elsa56
elsa56 Member Posts: 98
edited 11. Apr 2014, 06:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Since having my THR I have put on a stone and now its getting me down.
So I am starting WW today. I weigh 13 stone 7lb and I was 10 stone before all my problems started with my hip. I don't want to get back to 10 stone but want to lose at least 2 1/2..
Any tips from anyone would be welcome :) and anyone want to join me??
I think the extra weight isn't helping my hip and leg so I have got to do something.
Excersise other than walking is all I can do at the moment and that is still painful. I'm still waiting for my scan results.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Turbogran has been posting regularly about her WW experience - that thread is over on Chit-Chat where most of the dieting goes on. :wink: Good luck with it, dieting is a challenge because the initial impression is that it's a matter of self-denial when in fact it's a matter of self-help. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Sarah01
    Sarah01 Member Posts: 192
    Options
    Hi Elsa

Count me in as your diet buddy :)

I've just started due to putting on weight after my THR. I used to go to slimming world and lost 19lbs with them. I knew I had to lose some weight before the op. As I can't attend a class at the moment I'm using their cook books and also the hairy bikers diet books. They have some great recipes.

Good luck with the diet and If you want support or even some recipes give me a shout :)

Sarah x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Elsa....I always did well on the low carb and more protein..but since my Kidneys were damaged by Ecoli am not allowed. Im afraid sugar is my downfall... :roll: so I am in the process of cutting it out..not working yet though and Easter is coming ...If I was you I would cut out sugar, white bread and white rice..and anything refined...good luck...
    Love
    Barbara
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Options
    Hi there. Best of luck! try and see it as a lifestyle change. If you make sure you eat lots of salads and veg that helps . I need to be changing my diet too so I will join!
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi There
    I could be wrong but I think Turbogran follows Slimming World.
    There is quite a difference in both of them. The voice of experience speaking :lol:
    Go to your meetings, keep a note of what you eat, get support from other members and good luck

Love
    Hileena
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Weight Watchers has changed recently and it is now much closer to Slimming World principles. I'm a Slimming World gal myself and I'm starting in May once my big assignment and my dissertation is submitted. No point in pretending I won't be needing chocolate to get me through the next few weeks! :lol:

Good luck, Elsa! The most simple tip is to drink a glass of water if you feel hungry between meals because we often mistake thirst for hunger. When I'm eating well, I have 3 decent meals (not too big) and allow myself 3 small snacks because I have blood sugar problems. I've always been advised that little and often is the best way to go.
  • Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    Options
    Hi there
    I too could do to lose a stone and a bit! I know i can do it, I have before, but I am a glutton & just love food and that bit of your brain thats says "you are full, now stop eating" just doesn't work, and when my main course compartment is full, I usually still have room in the pud space!
    Avoid picking between meals, use a smaller plate, stop baking, don't buy biscuits, crisps, chocolate, booze & all that fattening carp. It's not rocket science, but it does take all the pleasure out of life. And if I stop buying the stuff I am tempted by, the rest of the family grumble!. I find cookiing for 3 difficult, so most of the time 3 of us eat a meal that would feed 4, and I hate waste, so it all gets eaten!
    I have been to SW, but I hated it, and parting with money to stand on scales, clothed at the end of the day & have someone tell me what I already knew, well it was such a waste of money, I know it works for some though. I have a colleague who eats like a horse (daft expression, cos I think horses eat very healthily!) takes minimal exercise, drives everywhere and is a slim size 12, it is not fair!
    And as for 7 fruit & veg portions a day, well.....
    Good luck.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I agree....7 fruit and veg!!!!! even 5 can be a struggle for me sometimes.
    Before my THR I went to a SW morning class. If once you get weighed fully clothed, minus shoes and no coffee until afterwards :lol: you just go by that weight....wear the same clothes each week......Paying is the incentive to get to goal....same as WW. so you don't have to pay.
    My problem is my OH does the shopping. I'm not allowed to carry much because of spinal problems.....so biscuits etc come into the house :cry:
    He also loves cooking so when he cooks he doesn't always use the ingredients I would use :?
    As for cooking for ...can you not freeze one portion for someone...you maybe? instead of eating it.
    I remember when my kids were little {7 or 8 ish} Peter used to be sent away a lot so I was cooking for myself and them and there were always little bits left......not a full portion
    A friend said use those small yog tubs and freeze the bits instead of throwing them away. I started to do that. One day I was stuck for a meal for them, searched in the freezer. All these little yoghurt tubs were there. :wink: There was mince and onions, spag Bolognese {minus the spag} lasagne {just the mince bits of it} and a few other mince things....how can you tell my kids loved mince then????
    I got all theses little pots out, combined them {behind their back} :wink: they would have said ugghh! probably.
    Put itdown in front of them and they nearly ate the patterns of the plate :lol: how did you make that mam? Oh its just one of my connections :wink: They kept asking for it afterwards :lol::lol::lol:
    So don't throw it out or eat it if you don't need it
    Sorry I digress.....whats new!!!!!!
    Love
    Hileena
  • elsa56
    Options
    Thanks for your advice and support :) . Now the sun is out I think is a good time to start.
    I'm not going to meetings because I still can't drive and my nearest meeting is about 4 miles away. I have got the books so I am going to do it on my own and if you don't mind I will let you know each week what I have lost :). Sarah, Kittkat and Fionabee let's get going.
    It's a shame we can't do a sponcered slim for Athritis care to give us a challenge and help a good cause at the same time.
    xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I popped in to see my friend Wendy a little while ago, she opened the door munching a bacon sarnie - her second of the morning. We had a cuppa and a natter then she said 'I have to go out now, I've my Weightwatchers meeting in twenty minutes.' :shock: She still hasn't grasped the principle that eating fatty foods tends to make you a fatty - mind you I struggle with that at times too. :wink: DD

PS Does anyone remember the children's story (or stories) about the Fattypuffs and the Thinnifers?
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elsa56
    Options
    A bacon sarnie is fine to eat :) as long as it's counted in your points or calories. I'm only allowed 26 points a day + 49 you use over the week and I rarely use the 49 when i'm dieting but it's there for things like that as a treat.
    My downfall is chocolate and I have found if I have a low calorie hot chocolate that takes the craving away and its only 2 points.
    So far this week I have been very good :roll: So will weigh on Tuesday and see if its working
    xxx
  • Agape
    Agape Member Posts: 76
    Options
    Hi all, I do appreciate each to their own, and if it works and the weight comes off, then fantastic keep going, but I can only speak for myself when I say that I have found that juicing has been so good. The weight comes off quickly and you are getting pure nutrition for your body to use to fight off infection and help boost your immune system. Last winter I did not pick up one cold, whereas I have had bronchitis and pneumonia in the past! My blood pressure is great and I honestly don't feel hungry when I replace a meal, friends at work tried it and had to agree. Even if you only replace one meal a day, you are giving your body great nutrition. It is worth looking into if nothing else. If anyone is interested you could send me a pm and I would be happy to chat more.

Obviously you would check in with your GP beforehand.
  • Agape
    Agape Member Posts: 76
    Options
    Hi all, I do appreciate each to their own, and if it works and the weight comes off, then fantastic keep going, but I can only speak for myself when I say that I have found that juicing (fresh fruits and vegetables) has been so good. The weight comes off quickly and you are getting pure nutrition for your body to use to fight off infection and help boost your immune system. Last winter I did not pick up one cold, whereas I have had bronchitis and pneumonia in the past! My blood pressure is great and I honestly don't feel hungry when I replace a meal, friends at work tried it and had to agree. Even if you eat healthy and just add in one juice per day, you are giving your body great nutrition. It is worth looking into if nothing else. If anyone is interested you could send me a pm and I would be happy to chat more.

Obviously you would check in with your GP beforehand.
  • sailrib
    sailrib Member Posts: 327
    Options
    Good Luck with your diet.

I'm exactly the same, since my coalition of the joints and arthritis started, I've put on weight as well :(
  • elsa56
    Options
    Hi all
    Good start!! have lost 3 pounds this week :o .
    Also I have a bit if news on my scan from Physio, she said that she can see from the scan that I have got problems with my lower back and thinks this is what is causing the problem with my leg.
    She said she can no longer help me as I was only with her for the hip... I asked her what she thought would be happening and she said thay can operate on it or do a nerve block injection(ouch).
    Will know more when I go next week to see the surgeon.
    On the good side ...we are supposed to be having a heat wave in May so will be able to get out more and the warmer will help us all with a little less pain
    xxxx