OA in knee & overused thigh muscles

Options
Vdonn
Vdonn Member Posts: 17
edited 5. Apr 2014, 01:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I am new on here, just been diagnosed with OA in right knee & overused thigh muscles in both legs. feel as if I also have OA in left knee as well.

Does anyone else have the thigh, muscle problem, use to walk up to 8 miles with no effort, now lucky if I do 2 with out pain. Had a small operation in December on the side of my knee to remove a Benign Tumor which has set all this of, no problems until then!

Do not feel ready for this at 61 & also active, not over weight, loss some with all the worry of the lump, it is hard but have lots of hobbies, we go out a lot just miss my country walks, lucky us we live by the sea so can still enjoy walking along Clacton on Seas prom & no hills!

Doctor has told me not to over do it, no more than 4 miles, no other excise or Physio as it can cause more damage.

Any tips on how you cope will be useful
Vera

Comments

• Francie7532
    Francie7532 Member Posts: 40
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm not sure why your doctor said no exercise or physio. There are lots of non-weight bearing strengthening exercises you can do without aggravating your knee. The key here is non-weight bearing. You really need to keep the muscles strong to help stabilize both knees and hips. People with OA often stop doing everything, which leads to weight gain (worst thing for OA of knee) and weakening of the muscles.
    I would invest in a bike. Biking and swimming are the two best exercises that will not effect the knee. Do you have some sort of OA classes in the pool? They are all the rage here in Canada. I would try these and see if they aggravate the knee, if not go ahead, if they do then stop. You can also do leg extensions while sitting watching the telli (if any pain stop, but it shouldn't hurt). Hope this helps and good luck!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I have OA in both ankles, both knees and definitely my right hip (so the left is beginning to twinge too thanks to a bad walking style). I have been arthritic for seventeen years now but the diagnosis of OA in April 2011 floored me - it is a very distressing time especially if you have had good health up 'til now.

I reckon you can carry on walking but for shorter distances, resting every now and again, wearing good, supportive footwear and invest in a walking pole (more 'elegant' than a stick) remembering to hold the pole in the opposite hand to the sore joint. If both knees are twanging then use two poles and walk in a quadruped fashion, i.e. right pole and left leg forward then left pole and right leg. Walking is a relatively high-impact form of exercise so maybe it's time to invest in a bike and start swimming too. The latter will work the entire body whereas the former is kinder on the knees. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Vera and welcome
    I am sorry you have had to give up walking long distance, and I understand how its feels..I am the same at 63..I have never heard of overused thigh muscles..I am in the process of building mine up after my THR..if I was you I would get an explanation for this....how lovely that you live near the sea... :) you enjoy the best you can..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Vdonn
    Vdonn Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Thank you for the tips, already have 2 walking poles, one is pink most things are with me anyway! They look better than a walking stick as well.
    My muscles feel as if I have done a 10 mile walk but all the time, that's why I have to not do so much walking, need a sit down after a while & so nice to sit & watch the sea.
    Vera
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    My muscles become tender from time to time but in my case I know why: last October my rheumatologist diagnosed me with fibromyalgia - now I am not suggesting that this is the case for you but it may be worth a small google (using responsible sites) to see if your symptoms are similar. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Francie7532
    Francie7532 Member Posts: 40
    Options
    Sometimes, muscle fatigue and soreness can also be caused by calcium/magnesium deficiency or imbalance. Make sure you are taking adequate amounts for your age and your condition. Might help, won't hurt.
  • Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    Options
    Hello Vedonn
    Not much I can add to the advice above, I understand your frustration about not being able to walk like you could, I share that! I had my knee replaced 3 months ago and am a bit younger at 53. New knee is doing well, has made me aware of other bits that aren't so good!
    If it is sore at the end of a day or after activity, you could try a bag of peas on it as as ice pack, I have to put them in a pillow case tho, they did that in hospital, so it must be ok!