Steroid injection

Options
ouchpotato
ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
edited 4. Apr 2014, 04:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all

I had a steroid injection into my elbow joint this afternoon for tennis elbow - I've barely stopped crying with pain since! He put the needle into the joint, injected a bit, them moved the needle around while still in my joint and injected a bit more, and carried on til it was all gone out of the syringe. Halfway through he hit a nerve...I almost had to be peeled off the ceiling. It was ok for about 10 minutes and then the pain started and I have been in agony since. I can't bend my arm at all, the entire arm feels like it is on fire, and the pain is unreal. Is this usual for a steroid injection? I am due at the pain clinic next month for the same into my spine...if this is what I can expect then I think I'll be opting out!

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    This is my experience too - isn't it miserable? I regularly had my knees aspirated and steroid-ed but, probably because a multiplicity of needles were involved, I was usually given a local anaesthetic. It didn't do much though and the resulting pain is like no other.

The gaps between joints are very small and never intended to have the equivalent of a 'patio pressure-wash' carried out on them. DO NOT use the arm - rest it as much as you can, on a cushion or a pillow - the steroid jollop needs time to sink in around the whole joint. I was always advised to do complete bed-rest after the knees, I did but never gained much in the way of benefit: steroids are temperamental, sometimes they help and sometimes they don't but they are not a permanent 'fix'. Take your dullers (some of the 'big guns' if you have any) but please rest the arm as much as you can for as long as you can: I know you have a family but (according to my hospital) resting is crucial.

I think the spine ones are a different kettle of fish because those joints are deeper under the skin: some sedation may be involved but ask for it anyway. I hope you feel better soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • 19smp59
    19smp59 Member Posts: 105
    Options
    I had this done quite a few years ago and I must say my doctor took ages getting the right place before putting the needle in. It was literally like a miracle cure. I didn't use my arm much for a few days and honestly can say I've never had a problem since.

I do hope yours gets better soon. Definitely rest it as I think that is quite important. Good luck.

Suzanne x
  • ouchpotato
    Options
    19...you are lucky! I am still hoping that I get some relief once the pain wears off. It is now localised to the elbow rather than the entire arm, and I cannot bend it past about 30 degrees, but the pain is there all the time rather than intermittently which it was before I had the jab!

DD...my gp didn't even tell me to rest it at all...when I asked him he laughed and said that I should not move at all for 2 weeks, as that would get me out of housework but that in reality I didn't need to keep it still. I was in so much pain last night that I had it in a sling anyway, as every tiny movement hurt like hell. I took cocodamol 30/500, 4 during the course of the evening, but didn't get much relief.

Rather like waking up with a hangover, my mantra this morning has been 'never again'!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi ouch
    The last one I had in my thumb joints... :o the first one wasn't too bad ..I wounder if it depends on who does them...has though things are not painful enough..I have answered your other post about back injections...ie Tony's..hope the elbow one works for you...
    Love
    Barbara
  • Settler
    Settler Member Posts: 51
    Options
    im due to get them in both wrists under xray, and scared, but the pain today and basically last couple of weeks i could easily amputate my hands, lol, i usually get a break from it, but it is continuous at the moment :(
    Shirley
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello ouch, how has today gone? Has the pain eased at all? DD
  • ouchpotato
    Options
    Settler, I really do think that it is an individual thing so don't let me put you off. I know that wanting to amputate feeling very well and it's impossible to live with isn't it? And also yours are guided under xray, mine were done 'blind' as it were, and he hit a nerve which is probably why I was in so much pain.

DD, thanks for asking. The pain this morning is almost back to pre-injection levels but is still constant rather than the intermittent pain of before. I rested yesterday as trying to bend it made it feel as if it was going to break, and this morning the stiffness and tightness has eased somewhat. Time will tell.

x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I know constant pain all too well, it's not great is it? :( Keep resting it as much as you can, please, just to give it the best chance of working. Keep up with the dullers too, they may take off an edge or two. :wink: DD