wrist injections

Options
Settler
Settler Member Posts: 51
edited 20. Apr 2014, 18:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
i have put this off twice as felt i didnt need them i had bad weeks and good months, now just having bad weeks so im on the list, im getting them done under xray, any one else having or had these, please share
Shirley

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've not had my wrists steroided but I have had my knees and ankles done. My hospital always advised me to rest the injected joint/s as much as possible for at least 48 hours so that the jollop would have time to sink in around the joint and hopefully get to work as expected. Alas and alack I did not gain much more than three days of slightly easier life but for some they work for weeks if not months: we are all different in how we react to these things. I wish you well and I hope they help. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    Options
    Years ago I had a steroid injection into my right shoulder. I was dreading it as I had been told that it would be painful both during the injection and afterwards. It didn't hurt at all when the injection was done nor afterwards, unfortunately I didn't get any improvement or pain relief either. I wish you all the best with your injection and hope it has the desired effect. Debx
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hopefully I can encourage you a little-I had a steroid injection into my shoulder joint last autumn after months of horrendous pain-I was advised to rest totally for 3 days (took to bed and let hubby spoil me :wink: ). It took me about 2 or 3 weeks to feel the full benefit and I had a considerable relief for several months. The doctor injected a mixture of steroid and local anaesthetic so it wasn't too painful-more uncomfortable- and it held the pain at bay for several hours. It was sore for a couple of days but the pain killers helped-GP advised loading up before the pain kicked in and keeping full dose on board for a couple of days.
    Prior to that I'd had steroid injections into my hips for bursitis done with ultrasound to guide the needle-again I was advised to rest for 2 or 3 days, and was given local anaesthetic injections ahead to reduce the discomfort- and again I had great relief from it. :D:D

Would I do it again- most certainly!

As DD said, it doesn't work for everyone, and I believe that you have to rest it for a while to give it a fighting chance of working to the best advantage.

Hope you get some relief from it.
    Deb x
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    I had one into my wrist under ultrasound a couple of weeks ago. It was fine, though a little sore for a few days. The pain is much better now.
  • Wendywells
    Wendywells Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi Salamander

I had a cortisone injection under ultrasound into my wrist a few weeks ago as I have de quervains tendonitis. I'm quite needle phobic so it was s big thing for me lol fortunately it may have done me a huge favour as that what were the suspected RA came from and I'm now waiting to see a rheumatologist in May.

Anyway, it wasn't as bad as I expected, yes it hurt but I think for me it was more physiological! I had almost instant relief from wrist pain, but after a few days the pain had moved into my thumb - maybe it was always there but the wrist pain was masking it. I'm now in a splint to immobilise my thumb which I have to wear 24 hours a day for the next 4-6 weeks, but the pain is definitely an improvement to what it was before the injection.

Expect not to be able to drive for at least 4 hours as the anaesthetic does numb the hand and fingers, you also have to be careful not to knock it. I can't stress how important it is to rest it though, otherwise it won't have chance too work.

Good luck, hope all goes well.

Wendy x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Shirley I have had quite a few injection done under xray..but the only ones that worked were in my thumb joints..so good luck with them and I hope you gets lots of relief..please let us know how you get on..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi;

I've had multiple injections in both wrists. I always had lidocaine with the steroid so the pain relief was immediate. They were all a bit sore afterwards, but I've had good luck and all have worked well. The only downside was one was placed a little to close to a nerve and was quite painful for the first week afterwards.

Best wishes.
  • Mormodook
    Mormodook Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Hi ... I had both wrists done last summer by my physio. Not done using ultra sound or X-ray just by the physio feeling my wrist / hand . It's very uncomfortable to say the least and it lasts about 20 seconds I'd say but the results for me were marvellous . I'd not hesitate to go back and do it again if needed . I've had knees , shoulder , tendons on palms of my hands and fingers done in the past and they have always worked. :)