Severe Itching

Options
shandy4greenday
shandy4greenday Member Posts: 344
edited 13. Apr 2014, 15:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been experiencing some sever itching recently.Some time ago my hydroxyquinitine was increased and same thing happened but then it was reduced back again.Since then I have not experienced any up until about 2 weeks ago and the only thing that has eased it is antihistamines.I contacted my GP yesterday who has given me Zerobase cream which I applied this morning,well I shall never use this again as this only made it 10 times worse and I never thought it was gonna ever stop and yet again only the antihistamine has eased it.One thing I have noticed I am not sure if it is the cause but when I wear my leggings or jeans it starts up worse.One other thing to add I did experience some eczema in my hands around this time last year which could be another possibility.I will be ringing my GP again Monday morning.Has anyone else had the same problem or with this cream also any advise in the meantime will be grateful Thankyou.

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello shandy ..I do fell for you..I think that itching is sent to drive us mad..and the more you itch the worse its gets.. :shock: I have allergic reaction to a few things ..but have now realized what they are so I am itch free, and yes some of the creams make things worse because you are rubbing the skin putting them on and some are too strong..sorry I wont be much help but we have a few people on here with itchy skin so I would do a search at the top of the forum..the one next to Members..the antihistamine are a life saver...hope you can get some answers very soon...
    Love
    Barbara
  • shandy4greenday
    Options
    After going to my GP three times and claiming they don't know what is wrong as there is no rash with the itching,even though I explained you don't need a rash to experience itching I finally decided to ring Rheumatology who has advised to stop taking my Hydroxy.It has now been 3 days and my itching is finally subsiding even though I suggested this to my GP.I may need to be put on something else Rheumatology has advised me.I am rather concerned about my hands as my joints in my fingers have become very sore and deterioating for some weeks now.I am back for another appointment in June so I will see what they say then.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    You don't need a rash in order to experience itching but it must be very helpful to a GP for diagnosing the problem if there is actually something for them to see. If hydroxy was the culprit previously, and if you suspected it might be again, it would probably have saved time (and itching :wink: ) to go direct to rheumatology. GPs are not experts on DMARDS and, indeed (though I could be wrong) I believe they do not have the remit to alter meds prescribed by the rheumatology consultant except in very special circumstances.

If your fingers are sore because the DMARDS are not holding back the disease then that, too, will be a job for rheumatology. They might up your meth or add something to it to replace the hydroxy. I do hope it can be sorted out quickly.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • shandy4greenday
    Options
    Thank you Rheumatology are talking about something else rather than uping my Methotrexate as I still experience mouth ulcers I am just recovering from about 6 in my mouth for the last 3 weeks,it drives me mad but sometimes they settle for some time then they are back.especially if anything gets messed up like having to stop my Methotrexate for a week or so.I guess it's something I have to put up with and slowly getting used to despite the agony of them at times.I have also changed my washing powder to help with the sensitive skin.The creams seemed to make my itching much worse but hopefully now we are finally resolving it.I will also remember in future to try Rheumatology first as it seems I get better results with them regarding my medication etc.