New Drug for Psoriatic Arthritis

Options
beckie89
beckie89 Member Posts: 46
edited 7. Apr 2014, 04:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
Morning All!

Just perusing the papers online with my morning coffee and came across this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2597685/Arthritis-injection-ease-joints-agony-help-150-000-sufferers.html

What are peoples thoughts? :)

Bex x
<3 *Beckie* <3

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I read that article too - us old hands are aware of it. Starburst found it effective but had to stop it due to the appalling side-effects it caused her. :( I see that no mention was made of the cost to the NHS or of the cost of the possible others. Just because it's been sanctioned doesn't guarantee that people will be offered it.

All these drugs are broadly similar - what's still lacking is the 'silver bullet', the drug that will permanently kill the arthritis at no physical cost to the patient. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi Beckie,

This is the one I started on Tuesday. I've been put on it by my Dermatologist but Rheumatologists use it for PsA too but not as frequently yet!!

http://www.papaa.org/immunosuppressants-and-biologics/ustekinumab

No-one on here seemed to recognise it wen I asked about it.

So far my only side effect seems to be fatigue, that's amazing as far as I'm concerned!! I am still on 400mg ciclosporin a day too but only for another 8 days coz we're going on a trip & she didn't want me flaring while I'm away, neither did I :wink:

Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Options
    Thanks beckie89
    lets hope they work and help us,time will tell.
    hope they work for you debbieT
    im also got some side effects with humira.
    thanks for that info beckie.
    mike26 :roll:
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Thanks Mike,

It's very early days for me but I'm hopeful it'll help both my Psoriasis & PsA :D
    I'm happy to keep you all updated if ure interested?

Thank you Beckie. I too had heard of that drug tho not specifically for PsA.

Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hi beckie,

As DD said I've just come off cimzia after a 6 month stint due to horrid side effects. I have RA but my rheum mentioned that it has been showing promising results. :) It got me into clinical remission which was great but sadly, my body couldn't tolerate it.

As a side note, I got 'the rage' reading those daily mail comments about how all I need to do is eat some turmeric and my faulty immune system will be cured. The media reporting of inflammatory types of arthritis is so bad, judging by comments of "I have pain in my knee, might be arthritis, where can I get this?" :roll: I wish the media made the distinction between OA and autoimmune arthritis.

Anyway, enough of me!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Turmeric? Oooh, hadn't heard that one. :wink: I'll go and sprinkle some over my breakfast eggs - I expect to be cured by lunchtime because this IS the 21st century and it's time my expectations were met. :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    Options
    Hi Bex,

Why, oh why is it that this rubbish rag picks up items long after the event :roll:

I have RA and intermittent psoriasis but not PsA.

Four years ago my Rheumy prescribed Cimzia. I had no side effects other than hair loss, which I think is pretty common on any DMARD.

My psoriasis abated and I was content with Cimzia, however, after 2 years my Rheumy thought I could and would do better on Enbrel.

Well, I've not had any plaques for 4 years now but would stress the point that I've only got RA not PsA.

Good luck to everyone :)

I'm waiting to hear that the DM advocate mussels as a cure for all types of arthritis. That was one of their "arthritis" claims some 30 years ago :lol:

Nevertheless I've never bought the paper and never will, so I'll have to rely on other people to tell me about it!
    Cherry