Gym bunny!

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 7. Apr 2014, 13:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Maybe wishful thinking?! :lol:

I am attending the physio department tomorrow for a trial on the gym equipment. I am mostly ready; trainers and trackies lying on my chair ready for me to hop (read: limp!) into them tomorrow morning.

My brain is a little less motivated but with a not yet proofread assignment due next week, an unfinished job application also due next week and an utter mess dissertation due very soon, I am not surprised. Nonetheless, I thought it might be a welcome distraction, so bring it on. :D

If I can still move after my gym session, I will report back tomorrow afternoon.

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Good luck you might just find it fun and want to go back...just don't overdo things but I am sure your physio wont let you...cant wait to hear how you get on x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hope the change of focus gives you brain space, and not too many stiff muscles later :shock: .

I'm guessing the end is in sight uni wise......... hang in there-you can do it!

Deb x
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Options
    I hope it goes really well Sophie - I have found exercise a great tonic until recently because it makes me feel I'm fighting my RA tooth and nail and I have always felt I could hear it wince - and often even concede defeat to me in the past.

Just now however it's me who is conceding defeat as the dratted fatigue, sickness and ache have just totally overwhelmed me. I try to get going and then my Nintendo Wii Fit Plus says "you don't seem to be your usual self Mat?" and I fling the Wii control back into the chest in disgust and go back to my bed where I seem to belong 24/7 these days?

But hopefully I'll be back on track soon and hopefully you'll be pacing alongside me fighting all the way. A little bit at a time, building up slowly is my advice but I'm sure the physio will know exactly how much you should be doing. Mat xx
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Take it gently - you have nothing to prove to anyone so don't let the trainer push you, listen to your body. The endorphin-release should give a positive boost to emotions and I hope it does. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it. :) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I am alive! :D

I spent some time on the treadmill and a little bit of time on the cross trainer. I also had my gait pattern assessed. It was noted that my left ankle is turning in and causing me most of the walking issues, so I've been given some exercises to hopefully strengthen my leg.

I feel a bit disappointed that I couldn't do more but she didn't want to push me, so I guess it's a start. I also went back to the GP who said I have an ear infection, so I'm quite proud that I managed it while feeling yuck.

Back on the treadmill in a fortnight!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I am so proud of you - well done, Sophie :D you've done all the right things and so has the physio. It takes time to assess one's capabilities and surely she has to get to know you and what you can do (and vice-versa) so I think this is a very positive start. I'm also pleased that you know the source of your 'Kylie' trouble so I hope that can soon be sorted.

I am deeply impressed by you and your attitude to life. O2 says 'Be more dog' - DD says 'Be more Sophie'. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben