Confused

Options
lynnoot
lynnoot Member Posts: 52
edited 11. Apr 2014, 10:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there

I don't know if anyone can help: I've been diagnosed with RA 12 years, and had 7 reasonably good years while being on Enbrel. Just before last Christmas I had a swollen ring finger which was injected with cortisone. This was followed by 2 injections of cortisone, and draining, of my swollen right knee. Since that time I feel I've gone downhill. I feel run down with lots of niggling infections and my middle finger is now swollen. Some days I feel really awful with pains in my head and joints.

I've had 2 lots of blood tests in the past month which have come back normal, and GP & Rheum nurse both say how I feel must be down to fibromyalgia and osteo arthritis.

Does this sound like osteoarthritis/fibro? To me it feels like how I felt before I was diagnosed with RA.

Comments

• Francie7532
    Francie7532 Member Posts: 40
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Perhaps it's time to revisit your medications. Maybe time to up the dosage or try something else. It sounds RA'ish to me not fibro/OA. Our bodies are constantly changing, we have to change with it. Good Luck!!
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi lynnoot;

I think you should trust your feelings. You know your body best.

Unfortunately, I always feel we must succumb to watching and waiting under doctors who want to be sure about our symptoms before changing our meds. All I can say is to keep bothering them with your symptoms if they are that bad. Do you have a rheum doctor appointment?

Best wishes.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi lynnoot, as boomer said you should trust and listen to your body, it will tell you when and where your pain is coming from and what type of pain it is. You need to sit down with your doctor or even better a Rhummatology Nurse or Consultant, they will understand you better.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    How rotten when a meds works so well then this happens, I am with the others I would ask your GP or Rheumy for advice..please let us know how you get on...
    Love
    Barbara
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    I think its time to have a long chat with a doctor and biologic nurse about your medication.

7 years on Enbrel could mean that you have developed antibodies towards the drug and it's no longer working. My old doctor used to say that this happens to most people at some stage on a biologic because of our immune systems. This is why Meth is now prescribed with every biologic to lower the chance of Antibodies being produced towards a biologic treatment. I'm no doctor in any way and could be totally wrong, but in your situation I'd say its more than reasonable to ask for this to be looked into.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    lynnoot, How have you been? Did you make an appointment with your G.P? Hope your feeling a little better now.
  • lynnoot
    lynnoot Member Posts: 52
    Options
    Thanks for you replies, it seems most of you think as I do. I must admit for the last few days I've felt better in myself. I wake up with pains in both hands, also hips and feet, but some of this wears off after a while, although two fingers on my left hand are swollen and painful. I have discovered that dihydrocodeine helps with the foot pain, but not elsewhere.

Unfortunately I cannot tolerate MTX, it sends my liver funny, I know I would be better having that plus Enbrel.

I think it's a bit of a waiting game, to see what happens next, if things might settle down again or if the Enbrel is not working as well. The consultant did say some time ago that Rituximab would be the next drug to try, although I'm not sure if there are any other new drugs out yet.