Psoriasis.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 10. Apr 2014, 15:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
I don't complain that often so please indulge me. :oops:

I realise that I am fortunate in that the psoriasis does not affect me that much but I'm having a mini-explosion at the moment and, oddly enough, it's all on scar tissue. I have a narrow patch around nine inches long on my stomach scar (my slash-and-grab ovary removal in September 2001), two glorious patches on my synovectomy scars on the left knee, a lovely patch on my left hand carpal tunnel scar and smaller bits on various insect bite marks. I guess it's spring - all kinds of things get going with gusto and maybe psoriasis could be included. My usual stuff is not touching it but I will doggedly keep on applying it because I am on unusual ground here and maybe the cream needs a cumulative effect.

I am peeved. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Ignore me because I've answered myself. Thursday completes my first orphaned year and the changes wrought in that year have been immense - I guess the general stress of it is being shown in my skin. Hey-ho. DD
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    I'm not surprised you're peeved! It does seem as though it's one thing on top another for you, and has been for some time.
    I can't offer any advise, but I can offer loads of sympathy and love, and for what it's worth, some of these ((((()))))
    Wishing you well, and truly hoping you catch that ever elusive break
    Numpty x
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Sorry DD. Psoriasis is an annoying little beast. I haven't had any turn up on scars but I noticed that sometimes even years later the scars turn bright red for no apparent reason. Immune system weirdness :roll:

My recent pred treatments have kicked the last of my p. but ....waiting for the rebound that's sure to come.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I have no experience of skin psoriasis but I had a rare and ugly looking skin condition as a child that has flared up once or twice as an adult, so I can relate to feeling peeved. Is it partly the 'visibility factor' I wonder? I've heard that skin conditions are especially prone to flaring when stress is ahoy. The mind-body condition is stronger than many people believe. You are wise, so obviously you know this.

Hang in there, this too shall pass x
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Having only 'acquired' psoriasis about a year ago and have only had one major flare and a few little ones so am not really qualified on the subject, but I do know stress is a contributory factor in flares of different kinds so some virtual ((((())))) coming your way............take care.............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Tubby
    Tubby Member Posts: 177
    Options
    I itch along with you DD :( Stress really does impact on Psoriasis and I find if my hormones are playing up it goes straight to my skin. I did at one point in the past, when I was being treated by a major teaching hospital, have like a second skin type plaster. Once it was on you left it there for several days and it really calmed things down. I am afraid I don't know what it was called but these dermatology departments do have some good stuff - particularly if you find one which does research as well as treat patients.

Hope it all feels calmer soon.

Tubby
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi DD
    You are right
    You never complain.....well not often :wink: So you have a right to moan.
    It will be stress I'm sure.
    When I was doing my training as a nurse {many years ago} :roll: When I had to change wards/go out on the community/sitting my intermediates or my finals it would flare up. Other times as well....but it was usually stress.
    Try and hit the stress on the head...you know what we say about stress and arthritis :? any kind!!!!
    I know easier said than done :D
    Love Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for your kindness. It's not the visibility that worries me, most of mine is hidden so that's not a problem but should it be revealed and others don't like it then that's their problem. When I was a child however, oh the bullying at school because of the top-to-toe eczema - children are monsters. I remember the glee when the class learned about leprosy :( - I can still hear the cries of 'Unclean! Unclean!' as I was in the playground.

I don't usually get stressed (that takes far too much energy which I don't have and I am basically a lazy person) but this is a different experience. My shoulders and neck are knotted with tension (Veronica (my masseuse) is coming round later to beat me up then cut my hair) and I am far more aware of my joint pains - stress again, methinks. Come Friday I am sure that all will be feeling better. Better. :roll: Back to moderately grotty is what I mean! :lol: DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    DD its always good to get things out..so sorry this is flaring up for you..I for one don't mind listening if you need a rare moan...I do hope this settles down very soon...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Oh DD I'm so sorry :(
    A year, that can't be easy ((((Hugs)))) Please know ure not alone. I'm sorry I'll be flying on the day so won't be around personally but I'll keep you in my thoughts!!

It's pustular you have isn't it? That's my newest type & the only type, for me, that reacts to stress & distress.
    That you've flared at this time is of little surprise, It doesn't make it any easier to cope with does it? :?

Would it be worth asking ure rheumy nurse if you can raise ure mtx to see if it would help to clear the flare if it's causing you too many problems?

It may be on ure scars as its damaged skin. Psoriasis loves that's after all :wink:

I never mind anyone moaning about skin problems coz I think I probably moan the most!! :lol::wink:

((((DD))))

Xxx xxX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    DD you moan all you like, everyone is here for you and if it helps get things out of your system then it has got to be good for you.
    I too have PsA and thankfully the methotrexate and Golimumab are keeping it at bay but I've been where you are and I know it's not a good place to be. Be kind to yourself and try to give yourself a treat of some kind every day to help relax and enjoy the moment.
    Hope your massage goes well, I'd love for someone to come here and do my shoulders which are so tight at the moment too.
    Good luck , big hugs. Ritwen.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    The instep of my right foot is raw and bleeding: the left is dry and flaky. My left hand carpal tunnel scar is raw and stinging (as is my stomach patch) but the right-hand one is fine. Go figure. :lol:

Ritwren? The massage was fab - she has learned much about my rotten body in the last 15 years and knows exactly how far to go, even if I don't :) I realise that I am very fortunate to know her. Months after both synovectomy ops she was the only one I could trust to touch the scar - I couldn't but she always got it right. DD
  • ruby2
    ruby2 Member Posts: 423
    Options
    Ah DD.. I am relatively new to the psoriasis side of this nasty condition.
    Mine is also more prevalent on the left and also round the torso level the site of a previous serious illness. I hadn't connected it to old wounds and scar tissue but that is absolutely spot on. It may not always develop into the plaques but certainly a flare irritates them.

Mine is settling due to regular application of dovebet ...but because of hands that are virtually useless now I can not apply it as I should and on bad hands days don't even attempt to.

You have had a year none of us envy and these things catch you when you are down as you well know! Bit of a bully that arthritis...but as soon as you pick up it tends to back off again a coward like that!.... Oh for the day we find a way to bite back completely. Take care.
    Ruby
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Dovobet doesn't do much for me but my GP prescribed Doublebase Gel which is very soothing. For starters you apply it as though stroking a cat, it's very easy to smooth in but rather hard to get out of the pump dispenser - we can't win at times, can we? :wink: How's about squeezing your dovobet onto a cotton wool disc (both hands can be used for that bit) and using that to apply? DD
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi DD
    sorry to hear that your skin is flaring up. I think you are probably right that stress and the upcoming anniversary have a lot to do with it. I do not suffer with skin problems luckily, but my sister has eczema and psoriasis, and as she is currently going through a rough patch emotionally, her skin is in an awful state. Her GP has changed her creams to a stronger steroid one, which she hates!
    Take care xx Having a massage sounds like a great idea, trying to de-stress.
    NB
  • ruby2
    ruby2 Member Posts: 423
    Options
    Thanks DD
    Tried double base and another ....exoret (or similar name)..worked like magic for my husband but it just made mine worse.

Hope you are feeling better.
    Ruby