OA and diet???

Options
Fionabee
Fionabee Member Posts: 146
edited 8. Apr 2014, 16:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there.
This is something I have poo poo'd. If you do think some foods influence your OA, which ones?
I'm not aware of anything making it worse although maybe that's not surprising until one starts removing common baddies.
Any thoughts?
Many thanks, Fiona.

Comments

• Sarah01
    Sarah01 Member Posts: 192
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Fiona,

How are you today?

I've never been told by any medical person that certain foods can affect my OA. To be honest with you I never asked them and I never researched diet and OA either. I started eating healthily once I was diagnosed so I could lose some weight.

The eating healthily went out of the window after the op. For the first 2 weeks I didn't feel like eating, then I started eating healthy. This didn't last as I felt so down with my recovery and turned to comfort food. This hasn't affected the OA in my other hip, so I don't know if there is any does or don'ts with food. Maybe that is something I should look into?

I have started eating healthily again but that's just down to assisting with the weight loss that I gained after the op.

Sarah x
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    I am also not aware of any foods that that should be avoided Fiona. I only know over the past few years having put on weight which has resulted in flaring up my knee again. I guess if you stick to a good balanced diet and keep to a reasonable weight, that should help with OA not putting as much pressure on the joints, we are all different so if there are foods out there what is not so good for one may be ok for another. Hope this makes sense, it has been a long night and I guess this is a bit of a ramble :oops: :shock: xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    Options
    Have done a little research, apples with the skin on and avocados are good for OA, contain the correct antioxidants.
    Things to avoid, fried, processed, wheat, dairy, citrus fruit and tomatoes.
    I had heard about tomatoes, they are my favourite bit of a salad, you can forget bitter leaves! I eat no processed food, never do more than saute anything, love bread but don't eat much because of the temptation to eat and eat! I'd find dairy hard to give up, but then i don't eat it excessively. Could do to lose a stone but at 5'8" when I stand straight and 12 and a bit stone, my weight is not a huge issue.
    I think I'll just carry on as I am, everything in moderation, I enjoy food, its not just fuel!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Acid worsens my OA which is a shame because I love chutneys and pickles - I learned aged seven that it's always the things we enjoy that become prohibitive. :roll: I'm not a great fan of tomatoes but that stems from childhood where they, all dairy and all fruit (apart from bananas) were banned from my diet thanks to rampant eczema. Luckily I love my veg (especially foliage) and still happily live without fruit even though I can now eat it, it's pointless stuff and far too variable in quality. I like avocados, especially with added prawns (which are high in cholesterol - see? We can never win! :lol: ) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Fiona I started to keep a food diary and on my bad days I checked it out...sugar was the big culprit with me, so I looked into this... and tomatoes ..but I can eat oranges ..so suppose everyone is different so you write down what you eat day by day..it becomes very interesting..
    Love
    Barbara
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,943
    Options
    Hello Fiona
    I like eating veg and fruit I like to drink grapefruit juice and oranges I don't get a pain from them I don't know about the aching as I have it all the time.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Personally I think a balanced diet is about the only thing I can suggest.
    You can't have grapefruit if you are taking statins...and tomatoes will stop you getting cancer......this definately isn't true as I have always eaten loads of tomatoes and had cancer 3 times so like I said just a balance of whats good for you and possibly a bit less of what isn't.
  • celebrationb
    celebrationb Member Posts: 134
    Options
    I didn't think food would make a difference , I know eating health is good. I don't eat much chocolate, but eat fresh veg, mostly all homemade dinners. Am 5.7" and was told at just under 12stone that not to lost much more weight.
    May be a food dairy would be good to keep, stressannoys my oa,.