Pineapple

Options
Susiesoo
Susiesoo Member Posts: 358
edited 16. Apr 2014, 06:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have read many times on here that we should not eat pineapple on the days we take Methotrexate, but I don't know the reason for this. Can anyone shed any light please?

Thanks, Susie.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I don't know but I guess it could be the interaction of subtle 'natural' chemicals. I vaguely remember that grapefruit was a bugaboo when I was taking cyclosporine but, thanks to a long history of fruit intolerance, fruit has never featured in my life. Chocolate is more reliable in taste and texture. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Susiesoo
    Options
    Hehe...I am trying to be good and eating more fruit, especially fresh pineapple, although mango is my favourite, but I would much rather eat chocolate. I wonder how naughty melted chocolate on pineapple would be :lol:

Susie
  • beckie89
    beckie89 Member Posts: 46
    Options
    I didn't know you were not supposed to eat pineapple on meth day, I drink a fair bit of pineapple juice :/

is this proven etc? :shock:
    <3 *Beckie* <3
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Pineapple has enzymes that inhibit absorption of quite a few drugs and delay absorption of others. I think eating a little pineapple is ok but drinking a lot of juice can have an effect.

A pharmacist would be able to give the best information :D
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    No one told me not to eat pineapple on meth day :shock: ......... wonder why not? It certainly didn't feature in the booklet I had to memorise of do/don't when I started injections in January. Curious!

Deb x

PS pineapple with Belgian choc melted over is yummy-had it at a German Christmas market-but the strawberries with choc were even better :D
  • beckie89
    Options
    Nope I definatly didn't get told either,

And Dibdab, would that happen to be at the Birmingham Christmas Market? :D (the strawberries are lovely too by the way!) :lol:
    <3 *Beckie* <3
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I recall something about pineapple but I know grapefruit is a no-no.
    10. It is well known that grapefruit is a food which has the opposite effect to oatmeal. It increases absorption of medication. So, if you are worried about trouble with methotrexate, don’t eat grapefruit.

From the great RA warrior: http://rawarrior.com/methotrexate-and-rheumatoid-arthritis/part-6-checklist-manage-methotrexate-side-effects-rheumatoid-arthritis/
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi Beckie,

It was Birmingham!! We live in Wolverhampton and go to the Christmas Market as a family each year........ always fun.

Deb xx
  • beckie89
    Options
    Not too far from me then, I'm in Oldbury :)

& I don't really eat grapefruit, so that doesn't fuss me! A bit peeved about pineapple though, it's one of my favourite fruits :(
    <3 *Beckie* <3
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Pineapple and grapefruit are fine in moderation but basically, just try not to drink gallons of pineapple and/or grapefruit juice on MTX day. :D
  • Susiesoo
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies. I have not been told to not eat pineapple either, but I have read it on here. As it is supposed to be such a good anti-inflammatory I think I will just stick to not eating it on methotrexate days.

Thanks again. Susie
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,943
    Options
    Hello all
    I drink half a mug of grapefruit twice a day to I have the alendronic acid
    i just went in the chemist to pick up my tabs and said about the grapefruit
    the pharmacist said don't have the grapefruit on the same day as the a acid i had never mind i know now.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    There are a few meds that pineapple interacts with..I know that ABs are one and epilepsy drug and some others..so I would check with your chemist they are more clued up than GPs..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Very useful info, nicole. I only heard about the orange/pineapple juice thing on this forum. I don't drink a lot but do enjoy the occasional slurp. I have no problems with my meth but, if I did, would certaily prefer to try the 'abstinence' route before moving onto a stronger dose or med. Thanks.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright