cs, oa and horse riding??? is it possible?

Options
demmilou04
demmilou04 Member Posts: 24
edited 2. May 2014, 08:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
i would love to go on gentle hack one of the days in the summer with my little girl, i was just looking for comments as to if its advisable? my health is good then bad, i am active every day i suffer two days later if i go OTT!!!

my posture causes me quite alot of problems, and i do stuggle to sit with correct posture at all times, as im slightly larger up the top :roll: and i do feel quite paranoid about pushing them out (with correct posture) lol

i have rode before and posture is a must, i feel comfortable enough to mount and ride a horse as long as it was a safe to do. but im just concerened in case i would be doing the wrong thing?
my gp has told me not to change my life style but to find my limits :/ i feel i would be able to cope physically, does anyone on here do any form of riding therapy/ riding???

ty x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Ah, payback. We do what we enjoy and out lousy bodies let us know about it a couple of days later. I don't know much about riding horses but, as I understand it, there's a little bouncing up and down to follow the rhythm of the animal, yes? How much impact does that have on the spine? I know of one lady on here who used to do RDA and now exercises on a mechanical horse - she has RA and OA and a number of joint replacements. She should be around on here pretty soon and I hope she spots your post.

Arthritis of any kind demands adjustment from us - and that usually means changing then losing the things we like doing. Gentle, low-impact exercise is the key to help our muscles stay flexible and as strong as possible but every one's experience of arthritis is unique. Listen to your body and base the joy of the experience on the strength of payback (should it rock up). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I am with your GP..don't change your lifestyle just don't over do things..if you know and trust the horse then why not...I rode in my younger days but with one hip replaced another waiting.. then I could not get on, unless it was side saddle.. :roll: spring is here and whata lovey way to enjoy it... :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    I'm with your GP too. I had OA in my knees for 15 years, and rode horses until a short while before my bilateral TKR - at which point it just became too painful and I stopped. I haven't gone back to it since the op, but it's not forbidden, even with replacement joints - though the surgeon did say "Do you have to; we get most of our customers from those people", when I asked!

Besides, there's riding and riding. There's a gentle trek with a little trotting and cantering, a wild flat out gallop, and top class show jumping. All are different, and maybe not all are appropriate. Only you can listen to your body and work out what level is appropriate for you, IMHO. But please don't stop living just because you have arthritis, and maybe living for you includes horses.
  • Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    Options
    I rode in childhood, was not a natural, but I did enjoy it. About 15yrs ago when my son had lessons I thought I'd like to have another go. Well the horse never went faster than a trot, I couldn't synchronise my rise & trot, jiggled & bobbed all over the place, when I got off I had the most awful leg and thigh pain, I thought I'd never be right again! It took about 3 or 4 days to wear off, NEVER again, it does look beautiful tho'.
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    I've no experience of it personally but if ure gp thinks it's ok & the general consensus here is the same I'd believe them.

It's best to be sensible & be prepared that you may not be able to do a session for as long as you'd like or as often perhaps but please enjoy it with ure daughter :D

Make sure uve got ure pain meds in too :wink:

Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x