Newly Diagnosed

Options
ambriel
ambriel Member Posts: 3
edited 11. Apr 2014, 03:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello, just thought I'd post an introductory message as I've just registered on the site.

I'm newly diagnosed with osteo-arthritis - just the last couple of weeks.

I've had concerns for a year or more but my GP didn't seem to think it worth doing anything about. It was only a month or so ago that a locum GP sent me for x-rays that confirmed it after the pains in my hands prompted me to go back.

My usual GP simply filed the x-ray report without even calling me! It was only when I pressed them that she told me it confirmed the diagnosis but didn't offer anything by way of treatment. I had to press her for pain relief for which I got a scrip for co-codamol.

It mostly affects me in the hands which is a problem because I write computer software for a living and so work at a keyboard most of the day. I also have pains in both hips and knees.

If that isn't enough I also have Raynaud's, was epileptic as a child, and suspect I probably have undiagnosed Asperger's.

Is this sort of antipathy normal with GPs? I got the impression that I should just put up with it and stop moaning.

Comments

• bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, Welcome to the Arthritis Care forum family ambriel, you have come to the right place for support and help! we support and help each other and do have some fun from time to time. So if you need any questions answered or if you need any support we are here. Hope you will enjoy the site
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello ambriel, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I think you have discovered the basic truth about OA, there is little that GPs can do about it although it sounds as though your GP was not empathetic. OA falls within their remit for 'treatment' which consists of pain relief and maybe anti-inflammatory meds. I am one of the lucky ones with a creaky foot in both arthritis camps: my GP deals with the OA whilst my rheumatologist deals with my auto-immune type; the meds I take for the latter don't help the OA whereas the OA pain relief and anti-inflamm do help the other - it's a weird life at times.

You use your hands a great deal by the sounds of things: some on here find soaking their hands in warm water aids relief (especially with some Epsom Salts added for good measure) others use hot wax treatments but, as with everything we try, the relief is limited because the pain / discomfort always returns. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi and welcome;

Raynaud's can be associated with immune-mediated arthritis, in which case it's called secondary Raynaud's. Since you are dissatisfied with your GP for other reasons, perhaps seeking a second opinion is a good idea?

I know nothing can be done for osteoarthritis but I don't think you should just put up with indifference from a GP. You should have been called and given your results.
  • ambriel
    ambriel Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks folks,

Yes, the GP has a reputation for being abrasive. Unfortunately where we live there isn't an alternative else I'd have considered moving to a different once a long time ago.

I can't take anti-inflammatories regularly because they interfere with my medication for high blood pressure, so for now it'll just have to be co-codamol. I have some tramadol left over from an attack of shingles a couple of years ago but they muck around with my vision so I try to avoid them where possible.

I've been wearing gloves to bed over the winter months and currently wear fingerless gloves for work. I'm typing pretty much 16 hours of the day, in one way or another, and have a small-holding so work outside with them when tending our livestock.
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I have Raynaud's too. It makes doing anything outdoors painful.

Take care, hope to see you around the forum.

Anna
  • Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    Options
    Have come to the conusion that a lot of GPs are in the wrong line of work!
    Mine is grudging in offering anything & when I tried to discus what I had read on line, he looked like I was reciting Chinese to him.
    I'm not sure I can offer any advice, but there are lots here who can.
    Fionabx