Hospital appointment

Deborahp64
Deborahp64 Member Posts: 13
edited 10. May 2014, 06:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, I have had osteoarthritis in my left knee for years without too much trouble, lately it has got worse and my right knee has also started to be painful, it got to the point where I could hardly walk. When I went to the docs I saw the new doctor there, and she made an appointment straight away for xrays, it turns out my left knee is severe and moderate in the right, she has now referred me to the orthopaedic surgeon, I am just wondering what to expect at the appointment, will it be more xrays or just a discussion on what the next steps are? I have been given naproxen but it isn't doing a thing for me and I am still in constant pain.
Thanks for reading xx

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Deborah
    If you've just had an X Ray I think they will go of that one :?
    Who can tell :)
    I would imagine that it will be a chat.......sit and think before you go and make a list of all the things you want to ask.
    As for the pain.....make a note of how bad it is, where it is, does anything in particular make it worse/better. Do you have an appointment yet or are you still waiting?
    As far as meds are concerned {especially if you haven't got an appointment yet} go back to the GP, tell him the meds aren't working and ask is there anything else.
    Its GP's that treat OA and rheumys that treat RA.
    The surgeon may send you to physiotherapist when he has a look.
    Have you tried the self help methods meantime?.....hot or cold? with me {OA in hips and spine} heat works better for me,
    Gels on your knee.....but not ones with anti inflammtories in them if you are already taking them orally.....once again I find they help {on a temporary basis}
    pm me if you want to know more...we aren't doctors so I can only tell you what helps me.
    Try keeping a pain diary before you go for your appointment.
    Sorry a bit of a ramble but this is just as things come to mind.
    Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Deborahp64
    And welcome to the forum.
    Hileena has given you lots of info..I can't really add to it but please let us know how you get on, its is such a worrying time on top of the pain..but you stay with us and then we can help you through it... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I have no idea what will be said but I hope at least a replacement for the left knee will be offered as this may slow the deterioration of the right. The rules and regulations seem to vary widely around the country, or perhaps it's more a matter of the funding and opinions of orthopaedic surgeons. I was refused knees in October 2011 when I was 52 because I was too young (and too fat :wink: ) and told to return in the autumn of 2014. I might, I might not: at the time my ankles and hips were fine, three years on of bad walking and they're not. :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Deborahp64
    Thanks all, I am 50 in 3 weeks :-o and was told a few years ago I was too young for replacement, but hubby thinks I will be offered one. My appointment is May 6th so not too long to wait. I have lost 16lbs in the last couple of months to try and help myself a bit, have been overweight for years. I like the idea of keeping a diary, as I will probably forget something when I am in there.
    Will let you know how I get on, thanks again
    Debb
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Debb
    You have done brilliant losing the weight..I am 9 months post THR..and I lost weight and boy did it help...its such a scary things having to have a replacement but believe me ..you will be so pleased to get rid of the pain...maybe it will be Physio first to strengthen your muscles...I do wish you well with it all... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • Deborahp64
    Hello Barbara, I have seen a physio but he couldn't help, hence why the doctor referred me, the weight loss is hard, not coming off as quick as I woukd like, but slow and steady wins the race
    Debb xx
  • Deborahp64
    Update: had my appointment on Tuesday with the orthopaedic surgeon and basically he said I'm a candidate for total knee replacements as my knees are that bad. He refuses to give young patients( I'm 50) steroid injections. He also discussed arthoscopy which I have decided to have, he said he will do both knees together and that if I'm still in as much pain as I am now at my 6-8 week check up, he will put me on the list for replacement. Have been given a wait time of up to 3 months. Fingers crossed I get some relief xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    That's good news, I am pleased for you. When I saw my ortho at aged 52 he said I was three years too young and three stones too fat. Now I'm nearly the right age but still a litle too fat :wink: and in the intervening three years I've 'lost' both ankles and both hips. :) Good luck with it, please keep in touch and let us know how things are going. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Thanks for the update. That does sound like a good appointment. How do you feel about it all? Some people balk a little at the prospect of two at a time though the one lady on here whom I can remember having two TKRs together is doing well. I hope you follow her example :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hey Deborah, sounds like you had an excellent appointment, 6-8 weeks will fly by before you know it the 6-8 week appointment will be here and you will know if your going on the weighting list. Please keep us updated on where your at with your health and the appointment. Have as good weekend as you can have. Take Care.
  • Deborahp64
    Hi, thanks for your replies. I was quite surprised I was offered knee replacement, thought I would be fobbed off with painkillers. I am quite optimistic about the arthoscopy, and the thought of having in done in both knees together doesn't worry me. I have spoken to work just to put them in the picture. Will keep you up to date with my progress. Enjoy your weekend xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I have a friend who had an arthroscopy last year and is now back to 6-8 mile walks. I myself have had 3 TKRs. The first two were done in 1981 and I still have one of them. You sound to be very positive and that will help a lot. I wish you every success.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Deborahp64
    Morning all,
    I have just received a letter for my pre op, june 18th, am so shocked it has come through so quickly. Any idea how long after this appointment I could have my op?
    Have a great day all xx