ESR

Options
janjankay58
janjankay58 Member Posts: 44
edited 27. Apr 2014, 11:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have recently had blood tests done and my ESR has gone up from 40 to 102 I have not been diagnosed with RA i do have OA in all my joints my GP has referred me to a rheumatologist i go next week she thinks i have RA or maybe Lupus don't know much about any of these my GP says there is other reasons for the ESR to go up so much but seems to think it is one of the things i mentioned before i was a little shocked when she told me the results anyone els had high ESR readings just a little confused at the moment!!

Thanks Jan

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Jan
    Sorry I wont be much help, but after 4 years of OA I got to see a rheumy on the 1st May..my markers have slightly raised but its all the joints that are involved is why I have this appointment..my hands are stiff till after lunch..and now the soles of my feet are joining in .... I do hope you get some answers then at least you know what you are up againest...good luck
    Love
    Barbara
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,131
    Options
    Hi Jan, sorry you are having problems with a high ESR, I have had readings as high as that (and higher) when I had quite a lot of inflammation which in my case does come from RA. Glad you have got some a quick appointment with a rheumatologist who hopefully can answer some questions for you. There are other blood tests they will look at to help find out what they think might be going on (do you know any other results from the tests you have just had?) and also what symptoms you are having, then that should help narrow things down. RA & other inflammatory conditions don't always tend to have hard-and-fast diagnoses but they will be able to get a better idea after seeing you and looking at any test results. Good luck with the appt.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I'm no good with the letters and numbers, Jan, but your GP sounds to be on the ball and that's a good thing. If you do have an auto-immune form of arthritis (Many of us 'do the double' :wink: ) it needs the appropriate treatment. Good luck and please let us know how it pans out.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • 19smp59
    19smp59 Member Posts: 105
    Options
    I shall follow this thread with interest. I have widespread OA but have felt dreadfully tired for the last few years, started with symptoms of Reynards, get electric shocks in my feet and have just been diagnosed with dry eyes and mouth. My blood tests were done last week some of which are for Lupus, Sjogrens, RA and apparently they take a few weeks to come back.

Let us know how you get on.

Suzanne x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've had ESR and CRP in the 160s-170s before things were brought properly under control. I reckon it's an indication that something on the auto-immune spectrum is going on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,131
    Options
    Hi again Jan, how did the appointment go..? Hope it was helpful and that something is being sorted out for you.
  • janjankay58
    Options
    Sorry it has taken me a while to let you know about my appointment the consultant was very nice and asked lots of questions and examined me then I had blood and urine tests done she says until she gets the results she cannot be certain of what is wrong with me but from what I have told her she thinks it is Polymyalgia when she gets the results I have to back to see her. Has anyone had this or does anyone know any information about it she told me a little about it that it is a inflammatory arthritis that you get for a short while and then it goes but can come back again at any time. I am glad the first appointment is over as I was dressing it but all in all it went well just in pain for few days after but I expected that after the examination I have osteoarthritis in my neck and spine so just a bit weary for a few days.

Jan
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Thanks for the update. I think that sounds like a good appointment, Jan. I've no experience of polymyalgia but, if you enter the word in Arthritis Care's search engine at the top right of the page, you'll find some former threads on the right and AC's own leaflet top left. I hope this helps.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I've no experience with polymyalga either but just wanted to wish you the best of luck with everything. .
    :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Barbieg
    Barbieg Member Posts: 40
    Options
    I have a friend who was recently diagnosed with polymyalgia and was put on steroid tablets immediately. She said it was like a miracle, it worked straight away. She has now halved the dose for a little while and then see how she copes. I hope this helps you and I wish you well for the future. Barbara.
  • janjankay58
    Options
    Thanks for your reply,s yes the consultant said when she gets all the test results if it is Polymyalgia she will put me straight on steroids and its encouraging to know how quick they work as I am feeling a little run down at the moment but on the bright side I'm off to almeria on Thursday so it will be nice to be in the sun for a while :) Jan
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Bring some warm rays back with you :wink:

hope you have a great time. .
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP