S'not fun. :(

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 22. Apr 2014, 17:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
Since 6.45am I have blown my nose around 120 times (I know this because I began a new loo roll and they have around 240 sheets - two sheets per blow). It's running like a tap, I have a productive cough (plus a tight chest thanks to my asthma) and my head aches from it all. It's not a cold, it's hay fever. The blasted oil seed rape is in full flower and our beautiful-but-evil garden flowers are joining in, simply because they can. Has anyone a flamethrower I could borrow? I want to implement my scorched earth policy because I have had ENOUGH . Life is difficult enough without this rubbish on top. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi DD
    Urgh, not good. Hay fever is evil! Mine is set off by tree pollens. My face is itching at the moment, nose running, but as yet I can still open my eyes so yay!! I have added Piriton and eye drops & nasal sprays to my daily meds regime.
    I hope you feel better soon and will chip in for the Flame thrower!!
    NB
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    You're so right, DD. S'not funny at all isn't persistent snot. You have my utmost sympathy. And empathy as I, too, belong to the Snotty Nose Club and only escape your current situation by virtue of the nasal inhaler which I use daily whatever the season. I know it has almost certainly played a part in my osteoporosis but I'd rather take my chances with the latter than have a permanently sneezing, dripping proboscis for the rest of my life. I also know you're unable to use one and that is to add insult to injury.

Sadly I don't possess a flamethrower but have matches will travel. Slash and burn.

I wonder - would dousing oilseed rape liberally with rapeseed oil bring it to a sticky but extremely satisfying end?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    After reading that DD I feel lucky to have only added a cloggy chest and itchy eyes to the aching joints.......... thank heavens for nasal spray, antihistamines, inhalers(2 kinds)...... and living in England where the cost is comparatively so little. Have to admit I've developed hermit tendencies to stay out of the pollen :?

Hope it all calms down soon.

Deb x
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Options
    Yepp dd its snot funny, i know where your coming
    from on this one.
    only mine is a stinking cold an ive had it for weeks cant seem
    to shake it off,im on a roll a day an me nose looks like rudolff :lol:
    the wife suffers from hay fever and its not nice.
    hope it goes soon for us both :cry:
    if it goes on much longer i think ill have a break from the meds..
    mike26..
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    DD my Granddaughter has asthma..and I wondered why she was struggling I didn't give a thought to pollen so early on....we have the rapeseed fields nearby..and this is the first year she has been effected so early :? ...I really do feel for you...hopefully it will ease up very soon..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Francie7532
    Francie7532 Member Posts: 40
    Options
    I wish mine was just a cold, then you would know for sure it is ending soon!! I've also got all the symptoms, and itchy skin to boot! Spring used to be such an awesome time of year. I developed my hayfever late in life and am hoping that it will disappear as insipidously as it appeared. I used to love gardening and walking in parks, I still do, just not in the spring. Gives you a whole new appreciation of the winter months!!! S'not fun indeed!!!!
  • celebrationb
    celebrationb Member Posts: 134
    Options
    Sorry to hear about you not being well. All my love to you
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Oh dear DD sympathies to you, I can imagine what it is like although I am lucky I haven't even had a cold this year. Hope it settles down soon your right s'not funny :roll: xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I feel your pain and offer sympathies. I am considering taking shares in Kleenex. I've had a waxing and waning cold since August (yes really!) and I've been extra snotty for a month now with ear infections in both ears and a virus, so I know what you mean when you have enough to deal with.

My hayfever usually arrives later in the season but can I highly recommend beconaze (sp?) nose spray. I find it the only thing that makes a difference.

Wishing you well. x
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    It does'not sound like fun at all. I do not have allergies but my brother does and wow does he suffer with s'not, asthma and extra fatigue.

Take care you, you really did get more than your share of things to suffer with :(

Sending virtual tissues (and some snot-free (()))
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you everyone, yesterday was tough and today is shaping up to be tougher thanks to a night of very interrupted sleep. I am doing my inhalers and this morning I took 10mg of prednisolone; I had this episode in April last year and ended up in hospital where all they said was increase you inhalers (check) and take 10mg of pred for a few days (check). Let's wait and see.

I am utterly miserable. :( DD
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    How much more **** is life going throw in your direction?
    I'm so sorry you're suffering again DD. I really hope the pred helps, and while it's at it, I hope it improves other stuff too, but maybe that's asking too much! :?
    Take care of you, (((())))
    Numpty
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Ohhh DD I'm sorry you've been hit early this season, I only seem to get hit late summer for a short while. Hope you can get some sleep and the inhaler and the Pred gives you some relief. Take care.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    As I know how miserable I felt before getting my nasal inhaler I did a bit of research, DD, and the results surprised me. They might come as a pleasant surprise to you too as it might be that you can both enjoy your spring flowers and get some control over your symptoms, albeit by rather drastic measures.

Firstly, the uncontrollable oilseed rape might not be the culprit though http://www.farm-direct.co.uk/farming/stockcrop/rape/ might have an agenda. This is what they say: 'as rape pollen is large and sticky it doesn't blow far in any quantity. Much of the time it is probably blamed in error because it is showy. Less obvious pollen producing hedgerow plants and trees that flower at the same time may be the real culprits. '

The possibly-more-reliable http://allergies.about.com/od/noseandsinusallergies/a/Spring-Allergies.htm makes for interesting reading.

'Spring pollen allergies are usually a result of pollen from trees, which can start pollinating anytime from January to April, depending on the climate and location. Trees that are known to cause severe allergies include oak, olive, elm, birch, ash, hickory, poplar, sycamore, maple, cypress and walnut.

Most plants with bright flowers do not cause significant allergy symptoms unless a person places their nose directly into the flowers and takes a big "whiff." This is because plants with bright flowers rely on insects to pollinate them, rather than the wind. The reason why people with spring hay fever get worse when the brightly colored flowers bloom is because of the pollen that they can't see -- which just happens to be around at the same time as the beautiful flowers. '

So, get out your axe, chop down any offending trees and get planting other, less offensive ones :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    If my lovely mate is suffering I'll gladly oblige with afore mentioned flame thrower. I made it myself from sticky back plastic an egg carton and a corn flakes packet (other cereal packets are available)

I'll set off now with extra snot rags!!

Xxx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I was a sensible girl and rang my rheumatology helpline this morning and to my surprise they called at 1.30pm: no ticking off for self-medicating ('You know what you're doing' was the exact phrase :) ) but if things are not better by Wednesday then I am to go to the GP for more pred. I am not to meth or humira this week because they will only exacerbate the situation.

Thank you for all that info, Sticky. I have a long history of birch intolerance, fir trees too. Our new house is surrounded by other people's trees and we are a stone's throw from one of the biggest parks in town. Bother.

I have spent the day in bed dozing. I have discovered that if I move I wheeze and cough whereas if I keep still I don't. No contest. My lovely husband has said he will cook tonight, he's working at home tomorrow so hopefully he will remember to make me a cuppa every now and again! DD
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hugs. Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I'm off to the docs at 2.30 today because I am for sure in a spot of bother. The pred is helping but I don't have enough to see me through the entire week - I took 25mgs today, my largest dose ever, and I can feel the difference. I also remembered that, because it's Easter week-end, now would be the time to sort out my repeat prescription so I can do that too: two birds with one stone and a chance for a lovely sit down whilst I wait for them. Sometimes my efficiency scares me. :wink: DD
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Glad to see the pred is helping DD long my it continue, lets hope you can enjoy your Easter weekend............................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Things are on the up - it won't last :lol: DD
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Glad you say things are on the up, but you do need to check the pollen count daily so you know how high it is and if you need to up the dose do it and if you go out maybe invest in a gas mask, you might start a trend!! Pollen free (())'s sent your way.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    As you so rightly say DD, s'not fun, nor fair. Your post did bring back memories though of how I struggled at school when I sneezed and streamed from March through to September. Tissues weren't an option(cost) and in any case irritated my nose and made me sneeze...so I had a stash of men's hankies that I had to rinse and dry throughout the day as best I could. The sound effects of my affliction tried the patience of staff and pupils alike and sometimes in exams resulted in physical removal from the room. At one stage I couldn't even do some PE lessons as chlorine in the swimming pool set me off and I tended to inhale too much water for safety, and cut grass on the field resulted in inability to see the rounders ball heading for me.
    The situation did improve over the years but the sudden arrival of OA 2 years ago seems to have come hand in hand with a whole new/mutated set of allergies - perhaps that's something to do with the fact that my hayfever was caused by the smallpox vaccination I had when I was 7.
    I do hope things get to a more tolerable level for you DD. The weather has not been helpful this year, with warm dry conditions leading to pollen levels building up rather than being periodically washed away.
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Options
    Would a small mask (nose & mouth) cover help somewhat
    when out in garden ,and a high pollen count is expected.
    being a non hay fever suffera ive never tryed it perhaps someone
    will tell me if it would work or not.
    mike26. :oops:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Bubba? Done that for years and have learned that the national forecasts bear little relevance to my life. Ce'st ca.

Daffy? Ah, been there and done that, I remember being indoors from April to September, watching my peers doing what they knew best in lovely sunshine but, somehow, they could still breathe. :? Sports day? Why? :roll: I thought that, post meth and humira at the grand old age of 51, I had discovered what constituted tolerable. Stupid girl - the reminder for mid-March 2015 is in my 'phone.

Mike? Wear sunglasses and, just to be on the safe side, wipe Vaseline around and inside both nostrils. Don't hang out washing, either; pollen is very sticky and hay fever (being an auto-immune thing) can start at any age. DD
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    It rained last night for which the gardener in me is grateful - but the hayfever sufferer is not. All that pollen washed down and now evaporating up direct to my nose and eyes.... Fortunately I wasn't rostered to work today - that would have been a non-starter with streaming eyes and nose and a soggy hanky wedded to my hand.
    To add to my current self-pitying state the sneezing has played havoc with my sore back as I can't always get into protective mode in time to prevent muscles being tweaked, and some insect bites I got yesterday are responding magnificently to the hysterical histamines. The day is not a complete write off though - with an adequate stock of nose-wipers to hand I can deal with matters involving call centres, and emails can be edited when paroxysms cause typos. The keyboard will need attention from a wet wipe though....